Location


See also...


Keywords

graveyard
Gurk Abbey
Hemma of Gurk
Gurk Cathedral
Dom zu Gurk
karner
Kaernten
Gurk
Oesterreich
Carinthia
Austria
ossuary
round
Saint Hemma


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

125 visits

Gurk - Dom

Gurk - Dom
In 1043 Hemma of Gurk (canonized in 1938) founded the Benedictine double monastery of Gurk Abbey, where she withdrew during the last years of her life.

After Saint Hemma´s death, the abbey was dissolved by the Archbishop of Salzburg, who instead set up the Diocese of Gurk-Klagenfurt in 1072.

The "Gurk Cathedral" is a large Romanesque basilica, built 1140 - 1220. The crypt got consecrated already in 1174 and since then hosts the grave of Saint Hemma of Gurk, still a place of pilgrimage.

The graveyard of the Cathedral has two round chapels. Here is the older one, that may have been used as a Karner (ossuary).

Comments

Sign-in to write a comment.