Location


See also...


Keywords

ossuary
Margaretha
Lieding
karner
Turkish incursions
Kaernten
Oesterreich
Carinthia
Austria
Schloss Straßburg


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

101 visits

Lieding - Hl. Margaretha

Lieding - Hl. Margaretha
A church was founded here by in 974 by Countess Emma, Saint Emma of Gurk´s grandmother. Since 1131 this church served the parish.

After a fire in 1200, the church got rebuilt, of the older church the walls of the nave and a part of the narthex got "reused". The large Gothic (unfortunately locked) crypt got added 1330 - 1350. During the Turkish incursions in the second half of the 15th century the church and the surrounding area got fortified, while in "Baroque times" the tower got a new bulbous spire.

The chapel on the right once served as Karner (ossuary). Seen in the backdrop is "Schloss Straßburg". The castle, overlooking the valley of the Gurk-river, was the residency of the Bishops of Gurk.

Comments

Sign-in to write a comment.