Location


See also...


Keywords

graveyard
Saint Hemma
Gurk Abbey
Hemma of Gurk
Gurk Cathedral
Dom zu Gurk
karner
Kaernten
Gurk
Oesterreich
Carinthia
Austria
ossuary
round
funeral hall


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

106 visits

Gurk - Dom

Gurk - Dom
In 1043 Hemma of Gurk (canonized in 1938) founded the Benedictine double monastery of Gurk Abbey, where she withdrew during the last years of her life.

After Saint Hemma´s death, the abbey was dissolved by the Archbishop of Salzburg, who instead set up the Diocese of Gurk-Klagenfurt in 1072.

The "Gurk Cathedral" is a large Romanesque basilica, built 1140 - 1220. The crypt got consecrated already in 1174 and since then hosts the grave of Saint Hemma of Gurk, still a place of pilgrimage.

The graveyard of the Cathedral has two round chapels. This newer one follows the architecture of the traditional Karners (ossuaries), may have been used as funeral hall.

Comments

Sign-in to write a comment.