Location


See also...


Keywords

pilgrims
Gurk Abbey
Hemma of Gurk
Gurk Cathedral
Dom zu Gurk
wooden leg
Kaernten
Gurk
cripple
peg leg
Oesterreich
prosthesis
Carinthia
Austria
crutch
pilgrimage
Saint Hemma


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

97 visits

Gurk - Dom

Gurk - Dom
In 1043 Hemma of Gurk (canonized in 1938) founded the Benedictine double monastery of Gurk Abbey, where she withdrew during the last years of her life.

After Saint Hemma´s death, the abbey was dissolved by the Archbishop of Salzburg, who instead set up the Diocese of Gurk-Klagenfurt in 1072.

The "Gurk Cathedral" is a large Romanesque basilica, built 1140 - 1220. The crypt got consecrated already in 1174 and since then hosts the grave of Saint Hemma of Gurk, still a place of pilgrimage.

Six such carvings, dated 1500/1510, are located along the nave. They tell the visitors legends and stories connected Hemma of Gurk´s vita.

Here it is shown, that after Hemma´s death on the "Feast of Saints Peter and Paul" (29.06.) in 1045 she was buried in the church of Gurk. Many miracles did happen there - and numerous sick and crippled pilgrims headed to the grave.

Comments

Sign-in to write a comment.