Location


See also...


Keywords

round
karner
Kaernten
Adam and Eve
Magi
Oesterreich
Carinthia
Austria
ossuary
Pisweg


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

97 visits

Pisweg - St. Lambert

Pisweg - St. Lambert
St. Lambert, parish church of the village of Pisweg, today a part of Gurk, was mentioned the first time in 1164.

The round Karner (ossuary), next to the church, is dated to the 13th century. Now used as a war memorial, it is known for the frescoes under the dome.

Here is a segment of the frescoe, painted around 1280, following the style of the frescoes in Gurk.

The keystone has the "Agnus Dei". There are Adam and Eve in paradise just before they accept the apple. Below the Magi, arriving in Bethlehem.

The Magi are often connected to pilgrimage. The Magi were the heroes of the medieval pilgrims. Pisweg may have been the last halt for many on the way to Saint Hemma´s tomb in Gurk, only about 5kms away. Time for the last rosary...

Nicole Merdrignac has particularly liked this photo


Comments
 Nicole Merdrignac
Nicole Merdrignac club
Superbe détail. Cordialement. Nicole.
2 years ago.

Sign-in to write a comment.