Location


See also...


Keywords

Austria
Carinthia
Oesterreich
Sankt Veit
tympanum
Kaernten
Sankt Veit an der Glan


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

83 visits

Sankt Veit an der Glan - Sankt Veit

Sankt Veit an der Glan - Sankt Veit
The parish church is mentioned first time in 1131, then belonging to the Diocese of Gurk, but in 1137 the place was "acquired" by the Diocese of Bamberg, like so many places and villages in Carinthia.

The once Romanesque building burned down in 1829 and got rebuilt within the 19th century. The Romanesque portal, seen here, was "recreated" in 1891, though the semicircular center depicting the Lamb, flanked by Lion adn Eagle, is from the original tympanum from ~ 1210.

Comments

Sign-in to write a comment.