Location


See also...

Rotunda - Round Churches - Rotonde - Rundkirchen Rotunda - Round Churches - Rotonde - Rundkirchen



Keywords

round
Ottoman incursions
Turkish incursions
Poppo von Andechs-Meranien
Prince-Bishopric of Bamberg
Tarvis
Diessen-Andechs-Meranien
Berthold V. von Andechs
Friaul-Julisch Venetien
Bertoldo di Andechs-Merania
Tarvisio
Karner
Friaul
Friuli-Venezia Giulia
Friuli
Italy
ossuary
Hochstift Bamberg


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

117 visits

Tarvisio - Santi Pietro e Paolo

Tarvisio - Santi Pietro e Paolo
The parish church of Tarvisio (German "Tarvis") was built within the 15th century. The round octagonal "Karner" (= ossuary) next to it may date from the 13th century, when a second round tower existed here as well. The church was strongly fortified, surrounded by walls and ditches, as the area was raided by Turkish troops from 1478 on. The tower, later used as a "karner" or "mausoleum", was in the beginning built for defense. Karners do not need loop holes.

Tarvisio is located on an old, important Trans-Alpine road, only about 8kms south of the border between Italy and Austria. It belonged from 1002 to 1759 to the Prince-Bishopric of Bamberg (= "Hochstift Bamberg).

In medieval times Bamberg (about 600kms north) was the center of a very powerful diocese. When in 1238 Berthold V. von Andechs became Patriarch of Aquileia and moved the capital of the ecclesiastical state from Cividale to Udine (see previous uploads), his uncle Poppo von Andechs-Meranien was Bishop in Bamberg.

Comments

Sign-in to write a comment.