Location


See also...


Keywords

Austria
Schwarze Armee
Ottoman wars
House of Eppenstein
Maria im Dorn
Turkish wars
Kaernten
frescoe
Feldkirchen
Magi
Oesterreich
Carinthia
Feldkirchen in Kärnten


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

96 visits

Feldkirchen - Maria im Dorn

Feldkirchen - Maria im Dorn
It in known, that the noble "House of Eppenstein", had a proprietary church here around 1065. The erection of the church seen today started in 1166.

The Romanesque basilica and the tower got then altered in Gothic times, when an additonal nave was added - and the basilica got a new roof, now covering nave and side aisles. After the incursion of the Turkish troops in 1478, the church got fortified, what did not help much, when Hungaria troops ("Schwarze Armee") raided the area only 4 years later.

During Gothic times, the walls were covered with frescoes. A few of them survived. Here are the Magi in their way to Bethlehem.

Comments

Sign-in to write a comment.