Location


See also...


Keywords

torso
Schwarze Armee
Ottoman wars
House of Eppenstein
Maria im Dorn
Turkish wars
Charles the Fat
Arnulf of Carinthia
Kaernten
spolia
Feldkirchen
Oesterreich
Carinthia
Austria
basilica
Feldkirchen in Kärnten


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

102 visits

Feldkirchen - Maria im Dorn

Feldkirchen - Maria im Dorn
A church may have been here already in 888, when the place was mentioned as "Veldchiricha" by Arnulf of Carinthia. Arnulf, after having overthrown his uncle Charles III (aka "Charles the Fat"), became the Carolingian king of East Francia and later King of Italy and for two years Holy Roman Emperor.

It in known, that the "House of Eppenstein", had a proprietary church here around 1065. The erection of the church seen today started in 1166, after the place got integrated into the diocese of Bamberg.

The Romanesque basilica and the tower got then altered in Gothic times, when an additonal nave was added - and the basilica got a new roof, now covering nave and side aisles. After the incursion of the Turkish troops in 1478, the church got fortified, what did not help much, when Hungaria troops ("Schwarze Armee") raided the area only 4 years later.

At least two antique Roman spoliae got integrated into the walls of the basilica. One of them is this torso.

Comments

Sign-in to write a comment.