Location


See also...

Italy - Italia Italy - Italia



Keywords

Italy
Piazza della Libertà
Agnes of Merania
Diessen-Andechs-Meranien
Berthold of Aquilea
Berthold V. von Andechs
Friaul-Julisch Venetien
Gertrude of Merania
Agnès de Méranie
Bertoldo di Andechs-Merania
Torre dell’Orologio
Lion of Saint Mark
Friaul
Aquileia
Friuli-Venezia Giulia
Friuli
Udine
Loggia di San Giovanni


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

120 visits

Udine - Torre dell’Orologio

Udine - Torre dell’Orologio
Udine is the historical capital of Friuli. Based on an old legend, Attila the leader of the Huns, had his winter quarters here, when besieging nearby Aquileia.

In 983 Udine was mentioned, when Empereor Otto II donated a castle to the Patriarchs of Aquileia. When Berthold V. von Andechs (1180-1251), brother of French queen consort Agnes of Merania, Hungarian queen consort Gertrude of Merania and Saint Hedwig of Silesia in 1238 became Patriarch of Aquileia, he moved the capital of the ecclesiastical state from Cividale to Udine.

In 1420 Udine was conquered by the Republic of Venice. It remained under Venetian control until 1797, being the second largest city in the state.

For a short while it was French. After the Congress of Vienna it became part of the Kingdom of Lombardy–Venetia (- Austria) - and was included in the newly formed Kingdom of Italy in 1866.

Opposite the Loggia del Lionello (see the previous upload) on Udine´s principal square (Piazza della Libertà), is the Loggia di San Giovanni, with it´s clock tower "Torre dell’Orologio". Seen on the tower is the "Lion of Saint Mark" (= "Lion of Venice"). The lion was removed by the French in 1797, but got "re-installed" in 1883.

Comments
 Petr Chudoba
Petr Chudoba
beautiful city capture
2 years ago.

Sign-in to write a comment.