Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved
The ghost brickworks at Porthwen has been disused since the First World War and yet there is still lots to see. Opened around 1900 to make refractory type bricks the works passed to German ownership in 1906 and began making wire cut bricks. In 1908 Charles Tidy acquired the business and the Tidy Brick and Tile Co then made pressed bricks. The remote location and difficult access, even by sea, probably ensured that this was a short-lived venture in spite of producing good quality bricks.