See also...See more...
Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved
Cecil Community Centre – Cecil Street, Toronto, Ontario
This building was designed in 1891 by the architecture firm of Knox and Elliot as a Romanesque Revival-style church for a congregation of the Disciples of Christ. Its subsequent uses tell the story of a changing neighbourhood. The church became the Ostrovtzer Synagogue in 1925, and its Jewish congregation replaced the bell tower with the existing domed tower. In 1966, the synagogue became the Chinese Catholic Centre. Eventually acquired by the City of Toronto, the building became the Cecil Street Community Centre in 1978.