Jacques

Jacques

Posted on 10/02/2013


Photo taken on September 21, 2013



See also...

Eglises de France Eglises de France


Splendid Views Splendid Views


gothic architecture gothic architecture


Image Editing Image Editing


See more...

Keywords

France
Fougères
Brittany
Ille-et-Vilaine Department
Bretagne Region
Upper Town
201309 Trip
Saint-Léonard Church
Gothic


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

311 visits

P9211158ac Fougères Upper Town Saint-Léonard Church Facade 12th 15th 17th 19th

P9211158ac Fougères Upper Town Saint-Léonard  Church Facade 12th 15th 17th 19th
St. Leonard is one of the parish churches of Fougeres , door of Brittany France; It is situated in the upper town in the immediate vicinity of the City Hall and the Public Garden; The impasse Saint -Léonard separates the seat of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the country of Fougères. History : The Church of St. Leonard was erected in the twelfth century by the monks of Pontlevoy on the plateau overlooking the castle of Fougeres; This foundation is the result of a dispute relating to the Church of St. Nicolas , which had opposed the religious of Pontlevoy and those of Marmoutiers wanting to injure them; Very soon, St. Leonard became the Parish of the new town of Fougeres; It was rebuilt from 1407 to 1636 in a Gothic style to meet the demands of population growth that the city was experiencing; Desecrated during the revolution, the building was overhauledin the nineteenth by architects Tourneux and Prioul, including the reorientation of the sanctuary, its expansion and the building of a new facade;
The church has been the subject of an entry in the supplementary inventory of historic buildings March 15, 1949;
Architecture :
Outside: St. Leonard Ferns is a typical example of religious buildings built in Upper Brittany at the end of the Middle Ages; Without transept it is a chapel, complete with a flat bed, a wide nave flanked by a row of chapels built at the discretion of the foundations and the needs of a growing population; However, the church has multiple homogeneous gabled facades, builders being compelled to build regular chapels; The North side , facing the town has a substantially richer ornamentation ( gallery renaissance gables adorned with leaves and kale , an upper decorated with a representation of original sin window carved pinnacles , gargoyles ... ) that South aisle that lined the walls; The main facade dates from the nineteenth century and replaces the original chorus; Placed on a high emmarchement , real stone lace , she transposes the model of large flamboyant facades of Ile- de- France (Beauvais , Senlis , Sens and Meaux ) in the Breton skies , using brilliantly kersanton for a result more gracefull; The main door with the eardrum perforated, is surrounded by foothills ordered pinnacles , a gable crowning everything and interrupting a first carved gallery adjacent to a terrace halfway up; Behind a rose six meters in diameter is the major adornment of the frontispiece; A second balustrade surmounts the intermediate wall and finishes by a pediment decorated with foliage motifs; Two powerful buttresses decorated with pinnacles and terminated by pinnacles , balance the horizontal lines of degrees or galleries, contributing even some upward momentum of the book; The tower is built of local granite extraction, in contrast to the gray color of kersanton; If the base is the oldest part of the building, the upper floors betray signs of a Renaissance style tempered by the hard stone carving: with gargoyles shaped guns and a Renaissance gallery, round ends with belfry crowned by a dome skylight;
Interior : The Church of St. Leonard of Fougères has a basilica plan simpler; It is indeed a wide nave of nine bays flanked by aisles, the first bay forming a kind of narthex opening two chapels (one under the tower); The building looks like a church hal , the Douvis covering the nave having however been raised to a height above the arches of the side aisles during the nineteenth century; The elevation is two stories : large arches with continuous arches that cover a Douvis punctuated by double arches; Direct lighting of the nave is parsimonious : if Western mistress rose window and the Eastern contributing thereto, are more windows that allow collateral indirectly provide some brightness nave; Originally , the collateral consisted of a sequence of independent chapels; Regularization plan of the building in the nineteenth century has significantly changed the perception of volume , distribution of spaces and internal circulation; The couvrement collateral warheads by stone arches and decoration of South chapels ( tabernacles and tiled sinks) attest still partially primitive provisions; The liturgical choir space is singled out by the presence of a triumphal arch at the entrance and the ribbed vaulting the last two bays of the church; The last date of the nineteenth century saw the change in orientation of the building, the façade is now facing uptown;
Stained Glasses : Most of the windows of the church Saint -Léonard were built in 1959; The bombing of the city in 1944 with the old windows blown leaned Francois Lorin ( 1900-1972 ) , master glassmaker in Chartres, to provide windows in collateral and bedside standing figures of Brittany Saints or having been subject to a special veneration in the Middle Ages and during the Ancien Regime; The building still retains some fragments of the glazing of the sixteenth century and the oldest stained glass in Britain, which comes from the abbey of Saint- Denis and dates from the twelfth century; These pieces exhibited in chapels flanking the main facade of St. Leonard , were ranked 10 December 1906; France Bretagne Region Ille-et-Vilaine Department Fougères Upper Town Saint-Léonard Church.

PINEDE has particularly liked this photo


Comments