Essex Walks

Essex Walks

Posted on 02/27/2015


Photo taken on February 27, 2015



See also...


Keywords

Architecture
Church
Essex
Colchester
St Botolph
Victorian
Bell Tower


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

301 visits

Colchester - St Botolph

Colchester - St Botolph
This church was built in 1837 on land adjacent to St Botolph's Priory. The medieval Priory church survived the dissolution of the monasteries only to be so badly damaged during the Siege of Colchester in 1648 that it was never repaired. The parish coped without a church for almost 200 years. The new St Botolph's was also nearly destroyed by war. Several incendiary bombs fell on the church during air raids in 1943 but were dealt with by the church's own team of fire watchers - all apart from one bomb, which landed on a radiator: the resulting flood of water extinguished that fire.

Comments