See also...See more...
Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved
Woodford Aerodrome opened in 1924 when successful aviation pioneer Alliott Verdon-Roe bought the original farmland to enable his Avro company to move its aeroplane assembly and test flying facilities from Alexandra Park Aerodrome in south Manchester. Originally it had a small grass landing area with several temporary Bessonneau hangars. The Lancashire Aero Club also used the aerodrome briefly in the 1920s until moving to the new Barton Aerodrome and used a converted farm building as a clubhouse and this 'Dutch barn' style steel-framed hangar built for A V Roe around 1927. This hangar is now under threat of demolition for the housing development which will soon take place on the closed airfield and aircraft factory site.
Frank Roolooth has particularly liked this photo