Cold War Warrior

Cold War Warrior

Posted on 06/20/2017

Photo taken on June 17, 2017

See also...

Military Graves & Memorials Military Graves & Memorials


St Nicholas

Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

38 visits

St Nicholas, West Looe 17 June 2017

St Nicholas, West Looe 17 June 2017
A Roll of Honour to the parish fallen of WW1.

St Nicholas' Church was built in the 13th Century by the D'Aubigny family and dedicated to St Nicholas of Myrna, now known as "Santa Claus", also the patron saint of sailors. It was a parish church from 1400 until the English Civil War. From 1649 it ceased to be used as a church, becoming the town guildhall. The eastern part of the church was a magistrates' court until 1839. After the Restoration of the Monarchy in 1660, it was again used for church services but around 1835 it reverted to a guildhall. In 1852 it was refurbished or use again as a church, much of the fittings dating to this period. The chancel was reinforced with timber taken from the St Joseph, a ship captured by Nelson at the Battle of Cape Vincent in 1797. She served in the Royal Navy until 1849 when she was broken up