Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Hôtel-Dieu
Toulouse - Hôtel-Dieu
| 26 Nov 2025 |
|
|
Toulouse, then known as Tolose, was an important Gallic city. It became part of the Roman Empire under the name of Tolosa. It was the capital of the province of Gallia Narbonensis, situated between the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean. From the 4th century onward, Toulouse was the seat of the Archdiocese of Toulouse.
In 413, Toulouse became part of the Visigothic Kingdom. In 507, following the Visigoths' defeat by the Franks, the Visigothic kingdom of Toulouse came to an end. In 721, the city was unsuccessfully besieged by Arabs for several months. Upto 843, Toulouse was the seat of the Kingdom of Aquitaine, after which the independent County of Toulouse was established, a center of Languedoc culture.
In 1208 Pope Innocent III called for a crusade against the Albigensians, during which the city was plundered. In 1228, after a grueling and destructive war of almost 20 years, Raymond VII of Toulouse gave up resistance and signed the Treaty of Paris.
During the Renaissance, Toulouse was one of the wealthiest cities in France. Woad a plant that at the time provided the only stable blue dye, thrived well in the near Lauragais region. The city's dominant market position gradually ended after 1550, when the Portuguese began importing the more affordable indigo from their colonies.
-
The history of the Hôtel-Dieu Saint-Jacques begins in 1313 with the merger of two smaller hospitals. One of the hospitals was entrusted to the Brotherhood of St. James in 1257 to facilitate the reception of pilgrims. The Hôtel-Dieu is still decorated with numerous scallop shells today.
Between the 17th and 18th centuries, the hospital underwent numerous architectural changes and expansions, becoming the largest hospital in Toulouse.
Beaune - Hôtel-Dieu
| 24 May 2017 |
|
|
|
Tired tourists in front of the "Hôtel-Dieu de Beaune" (aka "Hospices de Beaune") in Beaune. The "Hôtel-Dieu" was founded in 1443 by Nicolas Rolin, chancellor of Burgundy, and his wife Guigone de Salins as a hospital for the poor. The complex actually served as a hospital until the 1970s, when the largest part was converted into a museum.
Over the centuries generous benefactors made donations to the hospital, not only woods and works of art but as well vineyards.
Since 1859 "Les Trois Glorieuses" takes place here in November. This is a three-day festival and charity wine auction. The Domaine des Hospices de Beaune owns around 61 hectares of vineyard land, much of this classified Grand and Premier cru.
Provins - Hôtel-Dieu
| 04 Dec 2016 |
|
Once a palace used by the Comtesses of Champagne the building became a "Hôtel-Dieu" mid of the 12th century, when lots of pilgrims headed to Provins. Later it was as well used by the foreign merchants attending the fairs and markets here. The building has extensive rooms and cellars underground. It was used as a hospital still in the 20th century, but meanwhile it houses exhibitions and is used for concerts.
Arles - Hôtel-Dieu-Saint-Espirit
| 16 Apr 2013 |
|
Arles´ old hospital "Hôtel-Dieu-Saint-Espirit" was erected in the 16th and 17th century. It got enlarged during the 19th century and by now it is known under the name "Espace Van Gogh".
Vincent van Gogh moved to Southern France in February 1888. He lived in Arles for 18 months, maybe this was his most productive time, as he created 187 paintings during this time. Van Gogh was at least twice in this hospital. On 23 December 1888 after a strange incident with Paul Gauguin, van Gogh cut off his earlobe - and was rushed to this hospital. He stayed for about two weeks, but returned to the hospital in February 1889, suffering from hallucinations. He left Arles a couple of months later and entered an asylum in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence.
Vincent painted the "Courtyard of the Hospital".
www.wikipaintings.org/en/vincent-van-gogh/the-courtyard-o...
Tonnerre
Tonnerre
| 06 Nov 2009 |
|
..inside the Hôtel-Dieu de Tonnerre. - This was built as a hospital for the pilgrims heading to Vezelay
and from there on to Santiago between 1293 and 1296. The building was financed by Marguerite de Bourgogne. It covers 4500 m² and is one of the largest and oldest of such "hospitals" in France.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Hôtel-Dieu" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2026
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
X





