Carousel Armored Pony

Carousels - All


Folder: Carousels
All the photos I have of carousels, all of which are in other specific carousel albums.

Carousel Horse

11 Apr 2015 282
By master carver Charles Carmel, on the B&B Carousell, Coney Island, Brooklyn, New York, the carousel has 50 hand-carved horses and two chariots, as well as a 66-key German-made Bruder Gebruder organ. It is the work of William F. Mangels, a builder and an inventor of early-20th-century amusement rides who had a workshop on 5th Street and Surf Avenue in Coney Island. Mangels patented a new type of gearing that improved the up and down movement of non-stationary horses. Although originally built in 1919 in Coney Island with a frame dating from 1906, it spent its first decade and a half in New Jersey, possibly in Asbury Park. In the early 1920s it received a new set of horses that were carved by Charles Carmel, one of Coney Island’s most celebrated carousel makers. It was finally brought to Coney Island in the 1930's after being purchased by William Bishoff and Herman Brienstein who renamed it the “B&B Carousell” (with the two “L”s). By 2005, the B&B Carousell was the last surviving carousel at Coney Island. Its owners planned to dismantle it and auction it off, horse by horse but the city stepped in and paid $1.8 million to buy the intact merry-go-round. It was sent to Ohio where another $1.7 was spent for its restoration which took 8 years. During restoration, the signature of the master carver Marcus Charles Illions was uncovered on the flank of one of the horses. It is the only horse on the B&B Carousell by Illions, a Coney Island carver noted for his flamboyant style. The horse is one of four created in 1909 to celebrate the centennial of Abraham Lincoln’s birth. The other three are in private collections. Apparently, an earlier owner had removed one of the horses to give to his daughter before selling the carousel. The subsequent owner then filled the hole with the Illions show horse. It is the most ornate horse on the carousel. Its body armor is covered in colorful rhinestones, decorative scales, and a relief of Lincoln’s profile. (DSC00484)

Carousel Horse

11 Apr 2015 1 3 480
By master carver Charles Carmel, on the B&B Carousell, Coney Island, Brooklyn, New York, the carousel has 50 hand-carved horses and two chariots, as well as a 66-key German-made Bruder Gebruder organ. It is the work of William F. Mangels, a builder and an inventor of early-20th-century amusement rides who had a workshop on 5th Street and Surf Avenue in Coney Island. Mangels patented a new type of gearing that improved the up and down movement of non-stationary horses. Although originally built in 1919 in Coney Island with a frame dating from 1906, it spent its first decade and a half in New Jersey, possibly in Asbury Park. In the early 1920s it received a new set of horses that were carved by Charles Carmel, one of Coney Island’s most celebrated carousel makers. It was finally brought to Coney Island in the 1930's after being purchased by William Bishoff and Herman Brienstein who renamed it the “B&B Carousell” (with the two “L”s). By 2005, the B&B Carousell was the last surviving carousel at Coney Island. Its owners planned to dismantle it and auction it off, horse by horse but the city stepped in and paid $1.8 million to buy the intact merry-go-round. It was sent to Ohio where another $1.7 was spent for its restoration which took 8 years. During restoration, the signature of the master carver Marcus Charles Illions was uncovered on the flank of one of the horses. It is the only horse on the B&B Carousell by Illions, a Coney Island carver noted for his flamboyant style. The horse is one of four created in 1909 to celebrate the centennial of Abraham Lincoln’s birth. The other three are in private collections. Apparently, an earlier owner had removed one of the horses to give to his daughter before selling the carousel. The subsequent owner then filled the hole with the Illions show horse. It is the most ornate horse on the carousel. Its body armor is covered in colorful rhinestones, decorative scales, and a relief of Lincoln’s profile. (DSC00496)

B&B Carousell

26 Jun 2014 239
Located in Coney Island in Brooklyn, New York, the carousel has 50 hand-carved horses and two chariots, as well as a 66-key German-made Bruder Gebruder organ. It is the work of William F. Mangels, a builder and an inventor of early-20th-century amusement rides who had a workshop on 5th Street and Surf Avenue in Coney Island. Mangels patented a new type of gearing that improved the up and down movement of non-stationary horses. Although originally built in 1919 in Coney Island with a frame dating from 1906, it spent its first decade and a half in New Jersey, possibly in Asbury Park. In the early 1920s it received a new set of horses that were carved by Charles Carmel, one of Coney Island’s most celebrated carousel makers. It was finally brought to Coney Island in the 1930's after being purchased by William Bishoff and Herman Brienstein who renamed it the “B&B Carousell” (with the two “L”s). By 2005, the B&B Carousell was the last surviving carousel at Coney Island. Its owners planned to dismantle it and auction it off, horse by horse but the city stepped in and paid $1.8 million to buy the intact merry-go-round. It was sent to Ohio where another $1.7 was spent for its restoration which took 8 years. During restoration, the signature of the master carver Marcus Charles Illions was uncovered on the flank of one of the horses. It is the only horse on the B&B Carousell by Illions, a Coney Island carver noted for his flamboyant style. The horse is one of four created in 1909 to celebrate the centennial of Abraham Lincoln’s birth. The other three are in private collections. Apparently, an earlier owner had removed one of the horses to give to his daughter before selling the carousel. The subsequent owner then filled the hole with the Illions show horse. It is the most ornate horse on the carousel. Its body armor is covered in colorful rhinestones, decorative scales, and a relief of Lincoln’s profile. (DSC00501)

B&B Carousell

26 Jun 2014 257
Located in Coney Island in Brooklyn, New York, the carousel has 50 hand-carved horses and two chariots, as well as a 66-key German-made Bruder Gebruder organ. It is the work of William F. Mangels, a builder and an inventor of early-20th-century amusement rides who had a workshop on 5th Street and Surf Avenue in Coney Island. Mangels patented a new type of gearing that improved the up and down movement of non-stationary horses. Although originally built in 1919 in Coney Island with a frame dating from 1906, it spent its first decade and a half in New Jersey, possibly in Asbury Park. In the early 1920s it received a new set of horses that were carved by Charles Carmel, one of Coney Island’s most celebrated carousel makers. It was finally brought to Coney Island in the 1930's after being purchased by William Bishoff and Herman Brienstein who renamed it the “B&B Carousell” (with the two “L”s). By 2005, the B&B Carousell was the last surviving carousel at Coney Island. Its owners planned to dismantle it and auction it off, horse by horse but the city stepped in and paid $1.8 million to buy the intact merry-go-round. It was sent to Ohio where another $1.7 was spent for its restoration which took 8 years. During restoration, the signature of the master carver Marcus Charles Illions was uncovered on the flank of one of the horses. It is the only horse on the B&B Carousell by Illions, a Coney Island carver noted for his flamboyant style. The horse is one of four created in 1909 to celebrate the centennial of Abraham Lincoln’s birth. The other three are in private collections. Apparently, an earlier owner had removed one of the horses to give to his daughter before selling the carousel. The subsequent owner then filled the hole with the Illions show horse. It is the most ornate horse on the carousel. Its body armor is covered in colorful rhinestones, decorative scales, and a relief of Lincoln’s profile.

Carousel Horse

11 Apr 2015 264
By master carver Charles Carmel, on the B&B Carousell, Coney Island, Brooklyn, New York, the carousel has 50 hand-carved horses and two chariots, as well as a 66-key German-made Bruder Gebruder organ. It is the work of William F. Mangels, a builder and an inventor of early-20th-century amusement rides who had a workshop on 5th Street and Surf Avenue in Coney Island. Mangels patented a new type of gearing that improved the up and down movement of non-stationary horses. Although originally built in 1919 in Coney Island with a frame dating from 1906, it spent its first decade and a half in New Jersey, possibly in Asbury Park. In the early 1920s it received a new set of horses that were carved by Charles Carmel, one of Coney Island’s most celebrated carousel makers. It was finally brought to Coney Island in the 1930's after being purchased by William Bishoff and Herman Brienstein who renamed it the “B&B Carousell” (with the two “L”s). By 2005, the B&B Carousell was the last surviving carousel at Coney Island. Its owners planned to dismantle it and auction it off, horse by horse but the city stepped in and paid $1.8 million to buy the intact merry-go-round. It was sent to Ohio where another $1.7 was spent for its restoration which took 8 years. During restoration, the signature of the master carver Marcus Charles Illions was uncovered on the flank of one of the horses. It is the only horse on the B&B Carousell by Illions, a Coney Island carver noted for his flamboyant style. The horse is one of four created in 1909 to celebrate the centennial of Abraham Lincoln’s birth. The other three are in private collections. Apparently, an earlier owner had removed one of the horses to give to his daughter before selling the carousel. The subsequent owner then filled the hole with the Illions show horse. It is the most ornate horse on the carousel. Its body armor is covered in colorful rhinestones, decorative scales, and a relief of Lincoln’s profile. (DSC00502)

Carousel Horse

21 Jul 2014 1 1 259
The Lincoln Centennial Horse on the B&B Carousell - This horse is one of four created by master carver Marcus Charles Illions in 1909 to celebrate the centennial of Abraham Lincoln’s birth. The other three are in private collections. During restoration of the carousel, Illlions' signature uncovered on the flank of the horse. It is the only horse on the B&B Carousell by Illions, who was a Coney Island carver noted for his flamboyant style. Apparently, an earlier owner had removed a horse to give to his daughter before he sold the carousel. The subsequent owner then filled the hole with the Illions show horse. It is the most ornate horse on the carousel. Its body armor is covered in colorful rhinestones, decorative scales, and a relief of Lincoln’s profile. Located in Coney Island in Brooklyn, New York, the carousel has 50 hand-carved horses and two chariots, as well as a 66-key German-made Bruder Gebruder organ. It is the work of William F. Mangels, a builder and an inventor of early-20th-century amusement rides who had a workshop on 5th Street and Surf Avenue in Coney Island. Mangels patented a new type of gearing that improved the up and down movement of non-stationary horses. Although originally built in 1919 in Coney Island with a frame dating from 1906, it spent its first decade and a half in New Jersey, possibly in Asbury Park. In the early 1920s it received a new set of horses that were carved by Charles Carmel, one of Coney Island’s most celebrated carousel makers. It was finally brought to Coney Island in the 1930's after being purchased by William Bishoff and Herman Brienstein who renamed it the “B&B Carousell” (with the two “L”s). By 2005, the B&B Carousell was the last surviving carousel at Coney Island. Its owners planned to dismantle it and auction it off, horse by horse but the city stepped in and paid $1.8 million to buy the intact merry-go-round. It was sent to Ohio where another $1.7 was spent for its restoration which took 8 years. DSC00469)

Carousel Horse

26 Nov 2014 256
By master carver Charles Carmel, on the B&B Carousell, Coney Island, Brooklyn, New York, the carousel has 50 hand-carved horses and two chariots, as well as a 66-key German-made Bruder Gebruder organ. It is the work of William F. Mangels, a builder and an inventor of early-20th-century amusement rides who had a workshop on 5th Street and Surf Avenue in Coney Island. Mangels patented a new type of gearing that improved the up and down movement of non-stationary horses. Although originally built in 1919 in Coney Island with a frame dating from 1906, it spent its first decade and a half in New Jersey, possibly in Asbury Park. In the early 1920s it received a new set of horses that were carved by Charles Carmel, one of Coney Island’s most celebrated carousel makers. It was finally brought to Coney Island in the 1930's after being purchased by William Bishoff and Herman Brienstein who renamed it the “B&B Carousell” (with the two “L”s). By 2005, the B&B Carousell was the last surviving carousel at Coney Island. Its owners planned to dismantle it and auction it off, horse by horse but the city stepped in and paid $1.8 million to buy the intact merry-go-round. It was sent to Ohio where another $1.7 was spent for its restoration which took 8 years. During restoration, the signature of the master carver Marcus Charles Illions was uncovered on the flank of one of the horses. It is the only horse on the B&B Carousell by Illions, a Coney Island carver noted for his flamboyant style. The horse is one of four created in 1909 to celebrate the centennial of Abraham Lincoln’s birth. The other three are in private collections. Apparently, an earlier owner had removed one of the horses to give to his daughter before selling the carousel. The subsequent owner then filled the hole with the Illions show horse. It is the most ornate horse on the carousel. Its body armor is covered in colorful rhinestones, decorative scales, and a relief of Lincoln’s profile. (DSC00464)

Carousel Horse Portrait

10 May 2015 237
By master carver Charles Carmel, on the B&B Carousell, Coney Island, Brooklyn, New York, the carousel has 50 hand-carved horses and two chariots, as well as a 66-key German-made Bruder Gebruder organ. It is the work of William F. Mangels, a builder and an inventor of early-20th-century amusement rides who had a workshop on 5th Street and Surf Avenue in Coney Island. Mangels patented a new type of gearing that improved the up and down movement of non-stationary horses. Although originally built in 1919 in Coney Island with a frame dating from 1906, it spent its first decade and a half in New Jersey, possibly in Asbury Park. In the early 1920s it received a new set of horses that were carved by Charles Carmel, one of Coney Island’s most celebrated carousel makers. It was finally brought to Coney Island in the 1930's after being purchased by William Bishoff and Herman Brienstein who renamed it the “B&B Carousell” (with the two “L”s). By 2005, the B&B Carousell was the last surviving carousel at Coney Island. Its owners planned to dismantle it and auction it off, horse by horse but the city stepped in and paid $1.8 million to buy the intact merry-go-round. It was sent to Ohio where another $1.7 was spent for its restoration which took 8 years. During restoration, the signature of the master carver Marcus Charles Illions was uncovered on the flank of one of the horses. It is the only horse on the B&B Carousell by Illions, a Coney Island carver noted for his flamboyant style. The horse is one of four created in 1909 to celebrate the centennial of Abraham Lincoln’s birth. The other three are in private collections. Apparently, an earlier owner had removed one of the horses to give to his daughter before selling the carousel. The subsequent owner then filled the hole with the Illions show horse. It is the most ornate horse on the carousel. Its body armor is covered in colorful rhinestones, decorative scales, and a relief of Lincoln’s profile. (DSC00465 )

Carousel Horse

25 Nov 2014 240
By master carver Charles Carmel, on the B&B Carousell, Coney Island, Brooklyn, New York, the carousel has 50 hand-carved horses and two chariots, as well as a 66-key German-made Bruder Gebruder organ. It is the work of William F. Mangels, a builder and an inventor of early-20th-century amusement rides who had a workshop on 5th Street and Surf Avenue in Coney Island. Mangels patented a new type of gearing that improved the up and down movement of non-stationary horses. Although originally built in 1919 in Coney Island with a frame dating from 1906, it spent its first decade and a half in New Jersey, possibly in Asbury Park. In the early 1920s it received a new set of horses that were carved by Charles Carmel, one of Coney Island’s most celebrated carousel makers. It was finally brought to Coney Island in the 1930's after being purchased by William Bishoff and Herman Brienstein who renamed it the “B&B Carousell” (with the two “L”s). By 2005, the B&B Carousell was the last surviving carousel at Coney Island. Its owners planned to dismantle it and auction it off, horse by horse but the city stepped in and paid $1.8 million to buy the intact merry-go-round. It was sent to Ohio where another $1.7 was spent for its restoration which took 8 years. During restoration, the signature of the master carver Marcus Charles Illions was uncovered on the flank of one of the horses. It is the only horse on the B&B Carousell by Illions, a Coney Island carver noted for his flamboyant style. The horse is one of four created in 1909 to celebrate the centennial of Abraham Lincoln’s birth. The other three are in private collections. Apparently, an earlier owner had removed one of the horses to give to his daughter before selling the carousel. The subsequent owner then filled the hole with the Illions show horse. It is the most ornate horse on the carousel. Its body armor is covered in colorful rhinestones, decorative scales, and a relief of Lincoln’s profile. (DSC00466)

Carousel Horse

11 Apr 2015 326
By master carver Charles Carmel, on the B&B Carousell, Coney Island, Brooklyn, New York, the carousel has 50 hand-carved horses and two chariots, as well as a 66-key German-made Bruder Gebruder organ. It is the work of William F. Mangels, a builder and an inventor of early-20th-century amusement rides who had a workshop on 5th Street and Surf Avenue in Coney Island. Mangels patented a new type of gearing that improved the up and down movement of non-stationary horses. Although originally built in 1919 in Coney Island with a frame dating from 1906, it spent its first decade and a half in New Jersey, possibly in Asbury Park. In the early 1920s it received a new set of horses that were carved by Charles Carmel, one of Coney Island’s most celebrated carousel makers. It was finally brought to Coney Island in the 1930's after being purchased by William Bishoff and Herman Brienstein who renamed it the “B&B Carousell” (with the two “L”s). By 2005, the B&B Carousell was the last surviving carousel at Coney Island. Its owners planned to dismantle it and auction it off, horse by horse but the city stepped in and paid $1.8 million to buy the intact merry-go-round. It was sent to Ohio where another $1.7 was spent for its restoration which took 8 years. During restoration, the signature of the master carver Marcus Charles Illions was uncovered on the flank of one of the horses. It is the only horse on the B&B Carousell by Illions, a Coney Island carver noted for his flamboyant style. The horse is one of four created in 1909 to celebrate the centennial of Abraham Lincoln’s birth. The other three are in private collections. Apparently, an earlier owner had removed one of the horses to give to his daughter before selling the carousel. The subsequent owner then filled the hole with the Illions show horse. It is the most ornate horse on the carousel. Its body armor is covered in colorful rhinestones, decorative scales, and a relief of Lincoln’s profile. (DSC00466)

Carousel Horse

11 Apr 2015 250
By master carver Charles Carmel, on the B&B Carousell, Coney Island, Brooklyn, New York, the carousel has 50 hand-carved horses and two chariots, as well as a 66-key German-made Bruder Gebruder organ. It is the work of William F. Mangels, a builder and an inventor of early-20th-century amusement rides who had a workshop on 5th Street and Surf Avenue in Coney Island. Mangels patented a new type of gearing that improved the up and down movement of non-stationary horses. Although originally built in 1919 in Coney Island with a frame dating from 1906, it spent its first decade and a half in New Jersey, possibly in Asbury Park. In the early 1920s it received a new set of horses that were carved by Charles Carmel, one of Coney Island’s most celebrated carousel makers. It was finally brought to Coney Island in the 1930's after being purchased by William Bishoff and Herman Brienstein who renamed it the “B&B Carousell” (with the two “L”s). By 2005, the B&B Carousell was the last surviving carousel at Coney Island. Its owners planned to dismantle it and auction it off, horse by horse but the city stepped in and paid $1.8 million to buy the intact merry-go-round. It was sent to Ohio where another $1.7 was spent for its restoration which took 8 years. During restoration, the signature of the master carver Marcus Charles Illions was uncovered on the flank of one of the horses. It is the only horse on the B&B Carousell by Illions, a Coney Island carver noted for his flamboyant style. The horse is one of four created in 1909 to celebrate the centennial of Abraham Lincoln’s birth. The other three are in private collections. Apparently, an earlier owner had removed one of the horses to give to his daughter before selling the carousel. The subsequent owner then filled the hole with the Illions show horse. It is the most ornate horse on the carousel. Its body armor is covered in colorful rhinestones, decorative scales, and a relief of Lincoln’s profile. (DSC00466)

Carousel Horses

11 Apr 2015 241
By master carver Charles Carmel, on the B&B Carousell, Coney Island, Brooklyn, New York, the carousel has 50 hand-carved horses and two chariots, as well as a 66-key German-made Bruder Gebruder organ. It is the work of William F. Mangels, a builder and an inventor of early-20th-century amusement rides who had a workshop on 5th Street and Surf Avenue in Coney Island. Mangels patented a new type of gearing that improved the up and down movement of non-stationary horses. Although originally built in 1919 in Coney Island with a frame dating from 1906, it spent its first decade and a half in New Jersey, possibly in Asbury Park. In the early 1920s it received a new set of horses that were carved by Charles Carmel, one of Coney Island’s most celebrated carousel makers. It was finally brought to Coney Island in the 1930's after being purchased by William Bishoff and Herman Brienstein who renamed it the “B&B Carousell” (with the two “L”s). By 2005, the B&B Carousell was the last surviving carousel at Coney Island. Its owners planned to dismantle it and auction it off, horse by horse but the city stepped in and paid $1.8 million to buy the intact merry-go-round. It was sent to Ohio where another $1.7 was spent for its restoration which took 8 years. During restoration, the signature of the master carver Marcus Charles Illions was uncovered on the flank of one of the horses. It is the only horse on the B&B Carousell by Illions, a Coney Island carver noted for his flamboyant style. The horse is one of four created in 1909 to celebrate the centennial of Abraham Lincoln’s birth. The other three are in private collections. Apparently, an earlier owner had removed one of the horses to give to his daughter before selling the carousel. The subsequent owner then filled the hole with the Illions show horse. It is the most ornate horse on the carousel. Its body armor is covered in colorful rhinestones, decorative scales, and a relief of Lincoln’s profile

B&B Carousell

26 Jun 2014 218
Located in Coney Island in Brooklyn, New York, the carousel has 50 hand-carved horses and two chariots, as well as a 66-key German-made Bruder Gebruder organ. It is the work of William F. Mangels, a builder and an inventor of early-20th-century amusement rides who had a workshop on 5th Street and Surf Avenue in Coney Island. Mangels patented a new type of gearing that improved the up and down movement of non-stationary horses. Although originally built in 1919 in Coney Island with a frame dating from 1906, it spent its first decade and a half in New Jersey, possibly in Asbury Park. In the early 1920s it received a new set of horses that were carved by Charles Carmel, one of Coney Island’s most celebrated carousel makers. It was finally brought to Coney Island in the 1930's after being purchased by William Bishoff and Herman Brienstein who renamed it the “B&B Carousell” (with the two “L”s). By 2005, the B&B Carousell was the last surviving carousel at Coney Island. Its owners planned to dismantle it and auction it off, horse by horse but the city stepped in and paid $1.8 million to buy the intact merry-go-round. It was sent to Ohio where another $1.7 was spent for its restoration which took 8 years. During restoration, the signature of the master carver Marcus Charles Illions was uncovered on the flank of one of the horses. It is the only horse on the B&B Carousell by Illions, a Coney Island carver noted for his flamboyant style. The horse is one of four created in 1909 to celebrate the centennial of Abraham Lincoln’s birth. The other three are in private collections. Apparently, an earlier owner had removed one of the horses to give to his daughter before selling the carousel. The subsequent owner then filled the hole with the Illions show horse. It is the most ornate horse on the carousel. Its body armor is covered in colorful rhinestones, decorative scales, and a relief of Lincoln’s profile. DSC00486)

B&B Carousell Chariot and Band Organ

26 Jun 2014 273
Located in Coney Island in Brooklyn, New York, the carousel has 50 hand-carved horses and two chariots, as well as a 66-key German-made Bruder Gebruder organ. It is the work of William F. Mangels, a builder and an inventor of early-20th-century amusement rides who had a workshop on 5th Street and Surf Avenue in Coney Island. Mangels patented a new type of gearing that improved the up and down movement of non-stationary horses. Although originally built in 1919 in Coney Island with a frame dating from 1906, it spent its first decade and a half in New Jersey, possibly in Asbury Park. In the early 1920s it received a new set of horses that were carved by Charles Carmel, one of Coney Island’s most celebrated carousel makers. It was finally brought to Coney Island in the 1930's after being purchased by William Bishoff and Herman Brienstein who renamed it the “B&B Carousell” (with the two “L”s). By 2005, the B&B Carousell was the last surviving carousel at Coney Island. Its owners planned to dismantle it and auction it off, horse by horse but the city stepped in and paid $1.8 million to buy the intact merry-go-round. It was sent to Ohio where another $1.7 was spent for its restoration which took 8 years. During restoration, the signature of the master carver Marcus Charles Illions was uncovered on the flank of one of the horses. It is the only horse on the B&B Carousell by Illions, a Coney Island carver noted for his flamboyant style. The horse is one of four created in 1909 to celebrate the centennial of Abraham Lincoln’s birth. The other three are in private collections. Apparently, an earlier owner had removed one of the horses to give to his daughter before selling the carousel. The subsequent owner then filled the hole with the Illions show horse. It is the most ornate horse on the carousel. Its body armor is covered in colorful rhinestones, decorative scales, and a relief of Lincoln’s profile. DSC00488)

B&B Carousell Band Organ Decoration

26 Jun 2014 257
Located in Coney Island in Brooklyn, New York, the carousel has 50 hand-carved horses and two chariots, as well as a 66-key German-made Bruder Gebruder organ. It is the work of William F. Mangels, a builder and an inventor of early-20th-century amusement rides who had a workshop on 5th Street and Surf Avenue in Coney Island. Mangels patented a new type of gearing that improved the up and down movement of non-stationary horses. Although originally built in 1919 in Coney Island with a frame dating from 1906, it spent its first decade and a half in New Jersey, possibly in Asbury Park. In the early 1920s it received a new set of horses that were carved by Charles Carmel, one of Coney Island’s most celebrated carousel makers. It was finally brought to Coney Island in the 1930's after being purchased by William Bishoff and Herman Brienstein who renamed it the “B&B Carousell” (with the two “L”s). By 2005, the B&B Carousell was the last surviving carousel at Coney Island. Its owners planned to dismantle it and auction it off, horse by horse but the city stepped in and paid $1.8 million to buy the intact merry-go-round. It was sent to Ohio where another $1.7 was spent for its restoration which took 8 years. During restoration, the signature of the master carver Marcus Charles Illions was uncovered on the flank of one of the horses. It is the only horse on the B&B Carousell by Illions, a Coney Island carver noted for his flamboyant style. The horse is one of four created in 1909 to celebrate the centennial of Abraham Lincoln’s birth. The other three are in private collections. Apparently, an earlier owner had removed one of the horses to give to his daughter before selling the carousel. The subsequent owner then filled the hole with the Illions show horse. It is the most ornate horse on the carousel. Its body armor is covered in colorful rhinestones, decorative scales, and a relief of Lincoln’s profile. DSC00490)

B&B Carousell Band Organ

26 Jun 2014 203
Located in Coney Island in Brooklyn, New York, the carousel has 50 hand-carved horses and two chariots, as well as a 66-key German-made Bruder Gebruder organ. It is the work of William F. Mangels, a builder and an inventor of early-20th-century amusement rides who had a workshop on 5th Street and Surf Avenue in Coney Island. Mangels patented a new type of gearing that improved the up and down movement of non-stationary horses. Although originally built in 1919 in Coney Island with a frame dating from 1906, it spent its first decade and a half in New Jersey, possibly in Asbury Park. In the early 1920s it received a new set of horses that were carved by Charles Carmel, one of Coney Island’s most celebrated carousel makers. It was finally brought to Coney Island in the 1930's after being purchased by William Bishoff and Herman Brienstein who renamed it the “B&B Carousell” (with the two “L”s). By 2005, the B&B Carousell was the last surviving carousel at Coney Island. Its owners planned to dismantle it and auction it off, horse by horse but the city stepped in and paid $1.8 million to buy the intact merry-go-round. It was sent to Ohio where another $1.7 was spent for its restoration which took 8 years. During restoration, the signature of the master carver Marcus Charles Illions was uncovered on the flank of one of the horses. It is the only horse on the B&B Carousell by Illions, a Coney Island carver noted for his flamboyant style. The horse is one of four created in 1909 to celebrate the centennial of Abraham Lincoln’s birth. The other three are in private collections. Apparently, an earlier owner had removed one of the horses to give to his daughter before selling the carousel. The subsequent owner then filled the hole with the Illions show horse. It is the most ornate horse on the carousel. Its body armor is covered in colorful rhinestones, decorative scales, and a relief of Lincoln’s profile. DSC00491)

B&B Carousell Ceiling

26 Jun 2014 212
Located in Coney Island in Brooklyn, New York, the carousel has 50 hand-carved horses and two chariots, as well as a 66-key German-made Bruder Gebruder organ. It is the work of William F. Mangels, a builder and an inventor of early-20th-century amusement rides who had a workshop on 5th Street and Surf Avenue in Coney Island. Mangels patented a new type of gearing that improved the up and down movement of non-stationary horses. Although originally built in 1919 in Coney Island with a frame dating from 1906, it spent its first decade and a half in New Jersey, possibly in Asbury Park. In the early 1920s it received a new set of horses that were carved by Charles Carmel, one of Coney Island’s most celebrated carousel makers. It was finally brought to Coney Island in the 1930's after being purchased by William Bishoff and Herman Brienstein who renamed it the “B&B Carousell” (with the two “L”s). By 2005, the B&B Carousell was the last surviving carousel at Coney Island. Its owners planned to dismantle it and auction it off, horse by horse but the city stepped in and paid $1.8 million to buy the intact merry-go-round. It was sent to Ohio where another $1.7 was spent for its restoration which took 8 years. During restoration, the signature of the master carver Marcus Charles Illions was uncovered on the flank of one of the horses. It is the only horse on the B&B Carousell by Illions, a Coney Island carver noted for his flamboyant style. The horse is one of four created in 1909 to celebrate the centennial of Abraham Lincoln’s birth. The other three are in private collections. Apparently, an earlier owner had removed one of the horses to give to his daughter before selling the carousel. The subsequent owner then filled the hole with the Illions show horse. It is the most ornate horse on the carousel. Its body armor is covered in colorful rhinestones, decorative scales, and a relief of Lincoln’s profile. (DSC00492)

Detail from the B&B Carousell Organ

26 Jun 2014 221
Located in Coney Island in Brooklyn, New York, the carousel has 50 hand-carved horses and two chariots, as well as a 66-key German-made Bruder Gebruder organ. It is the work of William F. Mangels, a builder and an inventor of early-20th-century amusement rides who had a workshop on 5th Street and Surf Avenue in Coney Island. Mangels patented a new type of gearing that improved the up and down movement of non-stationary horses. Although originally built in 1919 in Coney Island with a frame dating from 1906, it spent its first decade and a half in New Jersey, possibly in Asbury Park. In the early 1920s it received a new set of horses that were carved by Charles Carmel, one of Coney Island’s most celebrated carousel makers. It was finally brought to Coney Island in the 1930's after being purchased by William Bishoff and Herman Brienstein who renamed it the “B&B Carousell” (with the two “L”s). By 2005, the B&B Carousell was the last surviving carousel at Coney Island. Its owners planned to dismantle it and auction it off, horse by horse but the city stepped in and paid $1.8 million to buy the intact merry-go-round. It was sent to Ohio where another $1.7 was spent for its restoration which took 8 years. During restoration, the signature of the master carver Marcus Charles Illions was uncovered on the flank of one of the horses. It is the only horse on the B&B Carousell by Illions, a Coney Island carver noted for his flamboyant style. The horse is one of four created in 1909 to celebrate the centennial of Abraham Lincoln’s birth. The other three are in private collections. Apparently, an earlier owner had removed one of the horses to give to his daughter before selling the carousel. The subsequent owner then filled the hole with the Illions show horse. It is the most ornate horse on the carousel. Its body armor is covered in colorful rhinestones, decorative scales, and a relief of Lincoln’s profile. DSC00493)

142 items in total