Paris  -  Musée de Cluny

Dormition of the Virgin


Location:
View on map

01 Aug 2025

1 favorite

45 visits

Paris - Musée de Cluny

The Hôtel de Cluny was built in the late 15th century on the site of an older building constructed after the Abbey of Cluny acquired the ancient Roman baths in 1340. The manor house was rebuilt under Jacques d’Amboise, Abbot Commander of Cluny (1485–1510). In the 18th century, the tower of the Hôtel de Cluny served as an observatory for the astronomers Joseph-Nicolas Delisle, Jérôme Lalande, and Charles Messier. During the French Revolution in 1789, the manor house was confiscated. In 1832, the archaeologist and art collector Alexandre Du Sommerard acquired the Hôtel de Cluny and used it to display his extensive collection of medieval artifacts. After his death, the collection became the property of the French state. The building opened as a museum in 1843. The museum underwent a complete renovation over three years and reopened in 2022. Dormition of the Virgin Ivory, Constantinopel, about 1000 The piece was probably part on a triptych, before it was reused as a bookbinding plate.

Location:
View on map

15 Aug 2025

3 favorites

1 comment

59 visits

Paris - Musée de Cluny

The Hôtel de Cluny was built in the late 15th century on the site of an older building constructed after the Abbey of Cluny acquired the ancient Roman baths in 1340. The manor house was rebuilt under Jacques d’Amboise, Abbot Commander of Cluny (1485–1510). In the 18th century, the tower of the Hôtel de Cluny served as an observatory for the astronomers Joseph-Nicolas Delisle, Jérôme Lalande, and Charles Messier. During the French Revolution in 1789, the manor house was confiscated. In 1832, the archaeologist and art collector Alexandre Du Sommerard acquired the Hôtel de Cluny and used it to display his extensive collection of medieval artifacts. After his death, the collection became the property of the French state. The building opened as a museum in 1843. The museum underwent a complete renovation over three years and reopened in 2022. Diptych Ivory, Paris, 1300 - 1325 left - the Dormition of the Virgin right -the Coronation of the Virgin

Location:
View on map

01 Aug 2025

63 visits

Paris - Musée de Cluny

The Hôtel de Cluny was built in the late 15th century on the site of an older building constructed after the Abbey of Cluny acquired the ancient Roman baths in 1340. The manor house was rebuilt under Jacques d’Amboise, Abbot Commander of Cluny (1485–1510). In the 18th century, the tower of the Hôtel de Cluny served as an observatory for the astronomers Joseph-Nicolas Delisle, Jérôme Lalande, and Charles Messier. During the French Revolution in 1789, the manor house was confiscated. In 1832, the archaeologist and art collector Alexandre Du Sommerard acquired the Hôtel de Cluny and used it to display his extensive collection of medieval artifacts. After his death, the collection became the property of the French state. The building opened as a museum in 1843. The museum underwent a complete renovation over three years and reopened in 2022. Diptych Ivory, Northern France, 1300 - 1325 1. register - Adoration of the Magi 2. register - Dormition of the Virgin 3. register - Coronation of the Virgin / Last Judgement