0 favorites     0 comments    198 visits

See also...


Keywords

octagonal
village hall
market cross
Norfolk
Wymondham
stilted


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

198 visits


O&S - Wymondham market hall

O&S - Wymondham market hall
In the town centre of Wymondham, there is a market cross, which is now used as a Tourist Information Centre and is owned by the Town Council.
The original building was destroyed in the Great Fire of Wymondham in 1615; the present building was rebuilt between 1617–18 at a cost of £25-7-0d with funds loaned by local man, Philip Cullyer. The stilted building was like many others designed to protect valuable documents from both flood and vermin.
According to T.F. Thistleton Dyer's English Folklore [London, 1878], live rats were nailed by their tails to the side of the building by way of a deterrent. This bizarre superstition ended in 1902 after a child was bitten, later to die of blood-poisoning.

Comments

Sign-in to write a comment.