Cricket pitch at Stockton
The Barley Mow in Stockton
Church of St Michael and All Angels at Stockton
The Barley Mow in Stockton
A 5m circular walk in May 2005 from Stockton
The Grand Union Canal and the Boat Inn near Birdin…
Birdingbury Bridge and the Boat Inn on the Grand U…
Approaching Stockton Top Lock No4, Grand Union Can…
Looking back to Stockton Top Lock No4, Grand Union…
Stockton Locks on the Grand Union Canal
Stockton Locks on the Grand Union Canal
Stockton
Stockton Locks on the Grand Union Canal
Looking down to Stockton Bridleway Bridge on the G…
Stockton Locks on the Grand Union Canal
Stockton Locks on the Grand Union Canal
Stockton Lock No11 and Stockton Lane Bridge on the…
Stockton Lane Bridge No23 and the Blue Lias Inn on…
Tudor House a Grade II* Listed Building in Long It…
Long Itchington
Church of the Holy Trinity At Long Itchington
Church of the Holy Trinity At Long Itchington
Church of the Holy Trinity At Long Itchington
Church of the Holy Trinity At Long Itchington
See also...
Authorizations, license
-
Visible by: Everyone -
All rights reserved
-
131 visits
One of the smaller quarry pools near the disused railwayay at Stockton
We had seen a Brimstone butterfly on a few occasions, but this was the first time we had seen three together.
(2005) “Stockton's existence is largely due to the deposits of blue lias chalk that virtually surround the village. Now owned by RMC, the cement works and associated quarries are no longer in use, but act as a wildlife reserve and drainage system for the surrounding land.
The cement works and quarries were closed in 1949, when the whole was dynamited and large quantitles of machinery thrown into the larger holes, which have since filled with water. The lakes are stocked with a variety of fish and well used by fishermen, but are extremely dangerous as rotting towers and broken machinery can cause (and have caused) injury. The main quarry site has been fenced since an accident there in the late 1990s.
Spoil heaps and the remains of one of the loading towers. A light railway ran from the top of this tower to transport the lias rock.
The water here is filled with broken up machinery and the remains of the railway.”
(2005) “Stockton's existence is largely due to the deposits of blue lias chalk that virtually surround the village. Now owned by RMC, the cement works and associated quarries are no longer in use, but act as a wildlife reserve and drainage system for the surrounding land.
The cement works and quarries were closed in 1949, when the whole was dynamited and large quantitles of machinery thrown into the larger holes, which have since filled with water. The lakes are stocked with a variety of fish and well used by fishermen, but are extremely dangerous as rotting towers and broken machinery can cause (and have caused) injury. The main quarry site has been fenced since an accident there in the late 1990s.
Spoil heaps and the remains of one of the loading towers. A light railway ran from the top of this tower to transport the lias rock.
The water here is filled with broken up machinery and the remains of the railway.”
- Keyboard shortcuts:
Jump to top
RSS feed- Latest comments - Subscribe to the comment feeds of this photo
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
X
Sign-in to write a comment.