FAQ: frequently asked questions
We've found 19 answers in the FAQ.
You can publish a video from Youtube, Dailymotion and Google Video.
Here is an example for a video hosted on Youtube.
1- On Youtube: view the video and copy the CODE
2- On ipernity: create a new post and click on the SOURCE button
3- Paste only the <embed........./> tag and hit SOURCE again to complete your post.
(if you paste the whole code, the video won't be shown once your post is saved)
If your video exceeds the upload size allowed, you have several options to remedy the situation:
-- You can break your video into multiple parts. Then upload the files starting from the end so they're displayed chronologically in your docs.
-- You can also convert your video to a smaller format. For this we recommend you use the flv format.
Many free programs can perform these operations easily, like Video Cutter and Splitter or Ultra Video Splitter.
You have the possibility of directly displaying a photo or inserting a hypertext link in a comment. This is how you do it:
Insert a photo
If the photo is available on ipernity (one of yours or a photo by a member), you need to display it and then click on the icon "see all sizes".
Select a size, preferably under 500 pixels in width in order not to affect the layout, and copy the HTML code.
Then paste the code into your comment.
Inserting a hyperlink
Inserting a link is simple. You just have to paste the Web address (URL) directly into the comment. If you want to create a link to a doc on ipernity, you will find the URL by clicking on the "see all sizes" icon above the document.
The list of HTML tags authorized in comments is available if you click on the link below the comments field "Some HTML tags are accepted".
Almost nothing to do...
Once you import audio or video files, we automatically display a playlist on your home page.
The playlist shows the last eight music files and the last five video files you imported.
If you want to create your own playlist and order files as you want, use an album.
You can easily follow, and in real time, comments left in your space, as well as the comments you leave and also responses from members on the "Activity" page ("My Space" menu)
Comments in your space
By clicking on the tab "In your space", you can see all the comments members have left for you.
Your comments in the spaces of others
The comments which you write in other members' spaces are grouped together under "Your comments". This tab also allows you to see comments left after your own comment. To stop following a thread of comments, click on "[x] do not follow anymore" under the thumbnail of the doc.
Replies to your comments
To see only the replies to your comments, click on "Your comments" and then on "Direct replies only" (top right).
There is also a comments RSS feed which you can subscribe to at the bottom left of the page to follow comments without logging on to ipernity.
TIP: Develop the habit of using the "reply" link when replying to a comment. That way the member will know that you've answered !
To create an audio or video playlist, add your documents to an album and then view the album in multimedia mode (you will find the link at the bottom of the album).
To put the documents in the right order, click on the "change order" icon above the album.
The video or audio file you have just uploaded isn't readable on ipernity?
-- either this is a corrupt file
-- or it's in a format not (yet) recognized by ipernity
We recommend you upload the following formats:
-- For videos: flv, DivX, XviD, 3gp or Quicktime
-- For audio: MP3
If you are an administrator you can ask another ipernity member to add documents to the group. Of course he/she must become a member of the group first.
Click the link "Propose this doc to a group?" (which is below the comments box). A message (in your language) is added to the comment box automatically, providing a link to the group.
The guestbook lets you leave appreciative messages directly on the home pages of members that you've visited.
By default, all registered ipernity members can write in your guestbook. You can change this option by clicking on the words "All members can add a comment" (on your home page at the end of the messages.)
Messages can be seen by all. If you dislike one, you can delete it: click on "view the whole message" then "delete"
We encourage you to allow comments as much as possible as you'll surely appreciate the reactions from your visitors. But it's your decision ;-)
You can manage the rights for commenting on all your posts using your default sharing preferences. Your choice will only apply to new posts.
For previously published posts, just click the "change" in the "Comments & privacy" section.
Realize that only logged-on members can comment on your posts. If a particular Member bothers you and you don't want them to be able leave you feedback, you can block them.
ipernity is much more than just a website for sharing, it’s a powerful tool for:
Staying informed through recent activity :
Who left you a comment? Who likes your photos? ... You will find it all out!
Organizing your docs easily with the DocManager
Never heard of this wonderful tool? Now's the time to discover it!
Discovering and meeting talented people through the Explore pages
Popular documents, posts bringing a lot of feed-back, the map of the world ...
And if none of this is new for you and if you are fond of blue, try entering color code #002244 in search for photos ;)
We encourage you to allow comments from the greatest number of members, but it's up to you to decide!
You can specify the right to comment on your docs as a whole in your default sharing preferences (this setting will apply to your new docs).
To do this for a single doc, click on "change" in the "Comments & privacy" section and to do this for several docs at a time use the DocManager.
Please note that non-signed in visitors are unable to leave comments. If a particular member bothers you and you don't want this member's comments any more, you can block this person.
When you add a doc in a group, it is visible to all visitors to the group irrespective of the privacy you've placed on the document previously.
A "private" document shared in a group is visible to all members who visit the group even if they are not part of your network.
Similarly, visitors will have the opportunity to write a comment or add tags and notes even if you have forbidden (or limited) these functions.
These exceptions only apply to members viewing your document whilst inside the group. Your choice of sharing, tags, comments and notes to the document are kept for other visitors to the document.
This function lets you send a link to a document or post directly via iperMail (ipernity's internal messaging).
So if you want to tell your network about a member video you've viewed, click on "more options" at the top of the document or post.
Simply type your message and choose the recipients, we'll do the rest :)
Is a member bothering you? Don't be alarmed, the "Block this person" function can fix the situation.
This means he or she:
- Will be removed from your network and will vanish from the "You are their contact" pages
- Will no longer be able to be in touch with you
- Will no longer be able to post a comment in your space (and all their comments will be deleted)
- Will no longer be able to send you a message or chat with you (and all their messages will be deleted)
- Will not be able to have anything at all to do your space
- Will certainly be sad about your decision, but it's your choice
But they will still be able to come and view your public docs and posts.
If you are sure you want to block a member, they must cease to be part of your network. If that's what you want to do, you must first remove them from the network. Then mouse over their member icon, hit the blue arrow and hit "Block"
You can unblock the person at any time, however, the items removed as a result of the block will not be restored.
Ipernity responds to the needs of the most demanding photo and video professionals.
Protection of original docs
- Your original files are never changed
- You can recover them with a single click
- You can prohibit downloading of your original publication and the publication of previews on other sites
Copyright or Creative Commons licenses
- All docs are marked copyright of their authors by default
- Creative Commons licenses are suggested as an alternative to copyright: they provide information on conditions for use of your docs
This system prevents the copying of photos with the right-click of a mouse: a white image is shown instead of the original.
Conservation of Metadata (Exif...)
- All metadata are recorded from files
- You decide whether or not to display them
Optimized organization and presentation of your docs
- Tools - you can automatically import and organize multiple docs with one click
- You classify and group your docs through an advanced tagging system
- Your home page is customizable
- Many of the site's pages - Home, Explorer , Groups ... - are dedicated to showcasing members' docs
- Ipernity enjoys a constantly growing international audience
A special PRO offer
The PRO offer makes it possible to benefit from many advantages such as UNLIMITED uploads and storage, a space without ads and access to exclusive features. The PRO offer is available by subscription for less than 2 Euros per month.
In addition to your sharing options, you can attribute specific rights to members of your network as well as to unregistered visitors: to download your documents, to obtain sharing codes for publishing elsewhere, or further to see photos in large format.
These options enable you to protect your docs without having to restrict their publication. They are of great value if you share your creations with the public at large. They are modifiable through the Originals & Exifs page in your preferences.
The following are the options enabling you to protect your documents:
- Original: you allow downloading, creation of access codes for sharing, and viewing photos in large format.
- Code sharing: downloading is not allowed, but a visitor has access to the codes enabling the publication of your doc in a comment or on another website.
- Large format (for photos only): When you upload an image, we create from the original file, previews of several different sizes. If you tick this box, this allows visitors to see your photos in large size, i.e. at 1024 pixels (this preview is available only if the original is of a greater size). Previews are accessed by clicking on the "View all sizes' icon above the doc.
- Nothing special: no rights, no downloading, no access codes and no large size previews.
If you are an artist/creator...
... and you share your work with the public, we advise you to grant "sharing codes" as a right to all your visitors.
And if you are worried about the use which might be made of a large format photo of yours, note that we prevent right-click copying (a white image appears instead of the original).
Publishing your docs or those of members (if they allow it) on other sites, in commentaries or blogs without having to upload them again is simple. Simply cut and paste the sharing code which we attribute to each doc:
-- The HTML code for direct display of the doc
-- The URL (the doc's internet address) to create a direct link to the doc's page on ipernity
You can limit or prohibit the publication of your own documents by going into your Preferences / Originals and Exifs.
To obtain the sharing code for a photo, display it and click on the "see all sizes" icon.
Next, choose the required size, and copy the HTML code or the URL.
For other documents (audio, video ...), click on the "Download or share" icon.
In upgrading your free account to a pro account, for just €1.99 per month, you get:
- UNLIMITED upload capacity! You can upload as many documents as you like
- Publish an UNLIMITED number of documents
- The ability to download all documents ipernity in their ORIGINAL format (depending of course on the author allowing it)
- A space free of advertising
- The ability to replace a document without losing its comments or tags
- You can join an UNLIMITED number of groups
- The pro insignia that distinguishes you from free accounts!
For comparison purposes, here are the limitations imposed on free accounts:
- 200MB of monthly upload capacity
- Only your 1000 latest documents can be accessed
- The originals, notably high-resolution photos, are not available (only the lower quality pictures, video, audio, are published).
- You can only join 100 groups