Galley Museum Queenstown
The Galley Museum has displays and information on Queenstown and surrounding areas. The collections include a photographic collection, minerals collection, and local memorabilia. The Galley Museum is housed in the original Imperial Hotel, built in 1897. The building operated as one of Queenstown's leading hotels for twenty years, and was also used as a Hospital for a time, as well as a Single Mens Quarters for the Mt Lyell Mine. Since the 1970's Eric Thomas photographic collection made it's home there. The Galley Collection and building was bought by the Lyell Council in 1985, and is now managed by a volunteer committee.