Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Posted on 03/23/2008


Photo taken on May  3, 2004



See also...

300-400 Views 300-400 Views


200-300 Views 200-300 Views


50-100 Views 50-100 Views


houses houses


500+ Visits (500-1000000) 500+ Visits (500-1000000)


Tibet and its culture Tibet and its culture


Sacred ground Sacred ground


Nikon Asia Nikon Asia


Nikon Nikon


Travel Photography Travel Photography


See more...

Keywords

Tibet
Lhasa
Buddhism
Monastery
Ganden Monastery


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

Photo replaced on September 18, 2016
637 visits

Ganden Monastery 55 km outside Lhasa

Ganden Monastery 55 km outside Lhasa
Being the furthest from Lhasa of the three university monasteries, Ganden traditionally had a smaller population with some 6,000 monks in the early 20th century (although Waddell reports an estimate of about 3,300 in the 1890s and there were, apparently only 2,000 in 1959.
Ganden Monastery consisted of two principal original colleges, Jangtse and Shartse, meaning North Peak and East Peak respectively. The three main sights in the Ganden Monastery are the Serdung, which contains the tomb of Tsongkhapa, the Tsokchen Assembly Hall and the Ngam Cho Khang the chapel where Tsongkhapa traditionally taught. The monastery houses artifacts which belonged to Tsongkhapa.
It contained more than two dozen major chapels with large Buddha statues. The largest chapel was capable of seating 3,500 monks. Tenzin Gyatso, the present Dalai Lama (born 1935), took his final degree examination in Ganden in 1958 and he feels he has a particularly close connection with Tsongkhapa.
Ganden Monastery was completely destroyed during the rebellion of 1959. In 1966 it was severely shelled by Red Guard artillery and monks then had to dismantle the remains. Most of Tsongkhapa's mummified body was burned but his skull and some ashes were saved from the fire by Bomi Rinpoche, the monk who had been forced to carry the body to the fire. Re-building has been continuing since the 1980s and the "red-painted lhakang in the centre is the reconstruction of Ganden's sanctum sanctorum containing Tsongkapa's reliquary chorten called the Tongwa Donden, 'Meaningful to Behold.
In the monastery were about 3000 monks leaving before the place was destroyed by the chinese invators. Now is restorated and rebuild and many monks return to the place (for tourism?!?!)

Comments