Tim Green

Tim Green

Posted on 08/25/2013

Photo taken on August 10, 2013



Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone

57 visits

Literary Institute, Camborne

Literary Institute, Camborne
Grade II*. Literary Institute, now social centre. 1842, enlarged 1852; altered. Granite
ashlar, slate roof. T-plan formed by hall at right-angles to the street
flanked by small wings; plus later extensions to the rear. Greek Revival
style. All single storey, but the hall much taller, presenting a giant Doric
portico, distyle in antis, with triglyph frieze and mutule pediment,
protecting a central doorway with simple pedimented surround and 2 round-
headed windows with moulded architraves and keystones, and glazing with
coloured margin panes. The wings, at right-angles to the hall, each have
clasping corner pilasters, a sashed window with sill-band and shouldered
architrave (4- and 12-paned respectively), and entablature with simplified
triglyphs and guttae; their gable walls are pedimented, with a triglyph
frieze. Forecourt enclosed by simple spear railings with wrought-iron gates.
To the rear of the right-hand (north) wing is a former lecture hall, added
in 1852, which is stuccoed, with vermiculated quoins and surrounds to
openings, a tripartite window to the 1st portion, and a round-headed
doorway with a shallow porch, flanked by tall round-headed windows on a
high level. Interior altered. History: Camborne Literary Institute founded
in 1829, this building erected on site given by Richard Vivyan and formerly
occupied by 1st Methodist chapel in Camborne.

Lorenzo Kjell Salmonson has particularly liked this photo