Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved
- Photo replaced on June 10, 2017
Old Post Office, Brixton.
Olympus XA, HP5+. June 2017, London SW9. Just nearing the end of refurbishment--see the glass dome! The post-office now occupies much more modest premises further down the street. The building was originally 'Topland House' and was the accommodation block for the staff of the Bon Marche department store (opened 1877), the corner of which is visible on the left. The staff entered via two tunnels under the road--one for men and one for women-- and were strictly segregated with separate dining rooms etc.