RP D'Aoust

RP D'Aoust

Posted on 08/19/2016


Photo taken on August 16, 2016



See also...

Tolerance Tolerance



Keywords

B/W
Redoute Dauphine
Parc de l'Artillerie
Old Québec
Dauphine Redoubt
© 2016 RP D'Aoust
Été
Août
iPhone 4
Aperture 3
2016
D90
Noir et blanc
iPhone
Black & White
August
Summer
Vieux-Québec


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

133 visits

La redoute Dauphine/Dauphine Redoubt

La redoute Dauphine/Dauphine Redoubt
Tout près de la porte St-Jean à Québec, se trouve un petit ouvrage de fortification isolé, témoin de plus de deux siècles et demi d’histoire ; la redoute Dauphine. Cette redoute, un des plus vieux monuments historiques du Canada, est située dans le parc de l'Artillerie,
Cette place revêtait une grande importance stratégique : elle dominait le plateau à l'ouest, où une armée pouvait assiéger la ville, et surplombait la rivière Saint-Charles, où des navires pouvaient débarquer. Sous le Régime français, toutes les lignes de défense proposées et construites passaient sur ce territoire. En 1712, on a mis en chantier la redoute Dauphine. Cependant, la signature du traité d'Utrecht a mis fin aux travaux en 1713.
Plus d’informations ici: www.pc.gc.ca/fra/lhn-nhs/qc/fortifications/natcul/natcul2/natcul2a.aspx

Le bémol ? L’extérieur du site est vraiment sous-utilisé et dans un état de décrépitude totale!. Il y a un «beau champ» de gravier en bas de la côte dans le parc (ironie) et les anciennes baraquement militaires sont vides et dans un piteux état.


Construction of the Dauphine Redoubt was begun in 1712 but the signing of the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713 put a stop to the work. In 1748, the temporary presence of eight companies of the Troupes franches de la Marine and a detachment of the Karrer regiment, which was made up of Swiss mercenaries serving the King of France, encouraged engineer Chaussegros de Léry to set up true military quarters in the north-west part of the city's fortifications. Thus, he completed the Dauphine Redoubt, organized it into barracks and undertook the construction of a 160-metre-long building against the fortifications. This building called the "New Barracks", contained armouries, stock rooms, a guard room and six prison cells. He surrounded the barracks sector with a guard wall, thus isolating it from the city and civilians. Lastly, he built a parade ground in the middle of Artillery Park. Soldiers of the Compagnies franches de la Marine and the Troupes de Terre who arrived in 1749 stayed in the barracks until the end of the French rule.
After the conquest, the barracks lodged soldiers of British infantry companies and later those of the Royal Artillery Regiment.
Source : www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/qc/fortifications/natcul/natcul2/natcul2a.aspx

William Sutherland, Thérèse, Malik Raoulda have particularly liked this photo


8 comments - The latest ones
Malik Raoulda
Malik Raoulda
Superbe avec un bel angle de prise +++++++
Merci pour toutes ces informations .
13 months ago.
RP D'Aoust has replied to Malik Raoulda
Merci Malik
13 months ago.
Robert Warren
Robert Warren
Superbe photo et une belle description de l'historique de ce bâtiment!
13 months ago.
RP D'Aoust has replied to Robert Warren
Merci Robert. Parfois, une seule photo ne suffit pas ; faut la remettre dans son contexte.
13 months ago.
William Sutherland
William Sutherland
Fabulous capture and info!
13 months ago.
RP D'Aoust has replied to William Sutherland
Thanks William.
13 months ago.
RP D'Aoust has replied to William Sutherland
Cool !
12 months ago.