The Porta Settimiana in Trastevere in Rome, June 2012

Trastevere


Toddler Playground in Trastevere in Rome, June 201…

01 Jun 2012 178
It's Little Tikes, just like they sell back in the USA!

Cannoli in Trastevere in Rome, June 2012

Graffiti in Trastevere in Rome, June 2012

The Porta Settimiana in Trastevere in Rome, June 2…

01 Jun 2012 137
The Porta Settimiana is a gate in the Aurelian Wall in Rome. It was built in 1498 by Pope Alexander VI, and it marks the beginning of the Via della Lungara on the south side. Text from: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porta_Settimiana

The Porta Settimiana in Trastevere in Rome, June 2…

01 Jun 2012 174
The Porta Settimiana is a gate in the Aurelian Wall in Rome. It was built in 1498 by Pope Alexander VI, and it marks the beginning of the Via della Lungara on the south side. Text from: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porta_Settimiana

The Porta Settimiana in Trastevere in Rome, June 2…

01 Jun 2012 185
The Porta Settimiana is a gate in the Aurelian Wall in Rome. It was built in 1498 by Pope Alexander VI, and it marks the beginning of the Via della Lungara on the south side. Text from: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porta_Settimiana

Detail of a Painting on the Porta Settimiana in Tr…

01 Jun 2012 210
The Porta Settimiana is a gate in the Aurelian Wall in Rome. It was built in 1498 by Pope Alexander VI, and it marks the beginning of the Via della Lungara on the south side. Text from: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porta_Settimiana

Dead-End Street in Trastevere in Rome, June 2012

Shrine at the End of a Street in Trastevere in Rom…

Street with Laundry in Trastevere in Rome, June 20…

Man in a Window in the Building Facing the Piazza…

Building Facing the Piazza della Scala in Trasteve…

The Exterior of the Church of St. Dorothy in Trast…

01 Jun 2012 269
Santa Dorotea is a Baroque parish church at Via di Santa Dorotea 23, in the northern part of Trastevere near the Ponte Sisto. The parish is administered by the Friars Minor Conventual, and the patron saint is Dorothy. This is an ancient church, although rebuilt twice, and is first attested to in a Papal bull of Pope Callistus II in 1123, being referred to under its old dedication of San Silvestro. In 1445 it was recorded under the double dedication of SS Silvestro e Dorotea, the latter being an obscure martyr of Caesarea in Cappadocia (modern Kayseri in Turkey) who may have been killed in the early 4th century if she existed at all. Her relics were enshrined here. In 1475 the church was rebuilt and given parochial status, and in 1517 St. Cajetan founded the Oratory (or Confraternity) of Divine Love in its sacristy. This is considered to have been a major event in the beginnings of the Catholic Counter-Reformation. In 1566 the church was re-listed under the present dedication. In an adjacent house, the first free public school in Europe was opened in 1592 by St. Joseph Calasanz. In 1727 the parish was suppressed, and in 1738 the church was granted to the Franciscan Conventuals. They demolished it again, and rebuilt it as the chapel of their new convent on the site. The parish was re-erected in 1824, and the church restored and re-consecrated in 1879. Text from: romanchurches.wikia.com/wiki/Santa_Dorotea

Detail of a Relief on the Facade of the Church of…

01 Jun 2012 204
Santa Dorotea is a Baroque parish church at Via di Santa Dorotea 23, in the northern part of Trastevere near the Ponte Sisto. The parish is administered by the Friars Minor Conventual, and the patron saint is Dorothy. This is an ancient church, although rebuilt twice, and is first attested to in a Papal bull of Pope Callistus II in 1123, being referred to under its old dedication of San Silvestro. In 1445 it was recorded under the double dedication of SS Silvestro e Dorotea, the latter being an obscure martyr of Caesarea in Cappadocia (modern Kayseri in Turkey) who may have been killed in the early 4th century if she existed at all. Her relics were enshrined here. In 1475 the church was rebuilt and given parochial status, and in 1517 St. Cajetan founded the Oratory (or Confraternity) of Divine Love in its sacristy. This is considered to have been a major event in the beginnings of the Catholic Counter-Reformation. In 1566 the church was re-listed under the present dedication. In an adjacent house, the first free public school in Europe was opened in 1592 by St. Joseph Calasanz. In 1727 the parish was suppressed, and in 1738 the church was granted to the Franciscan Conventuals. They demolished it again, and rebuilt it as the chapel of their new convent on the site. The parish was re-erected in 1824, and the church restored and re-consecrated in 1879. Text from: romanchurches.wikia.com/wiki/Santa_Dorotea

Relief on the Facade of the Church of St. Dorothy…

01 Jun 2012 182
Santa Dorotea is a Baroque parish church at Via di Santa Dorotea 23, in the northern part of Trastevere near the Ponte Sisto. The parish is administered by the Friars Minor Conventual, and the patron saint is Dorothy. This is an ancient church, although rebuilt twice, and is first attested to in a Papal bull of Pope Callistus II in 1123, being referred to under its old dedication of San Silvestro. In 1445 it was recorded under the double dedication of SS Silvestro e Dorotea, the latter being an obscure martyr of Caesarea in Cappadocia (modern Kayseri in Turkey) who may have been killed in the early 4th century if she existed at all. Her relics were enshrined here. In 1475 the church was rebuilt and given parochial status, and in 1517 St. Cajetan founded the Oratory (or Confraternity) of Divine Love in its sacristy. This is considered to have been a major event in the beginnings of the Catholic Counter-Reformation. In 1566 the church was re-listed under the present dedication. In an adjacent house, the first free public school in Europe was opened in 1592 by St. Joseph Calasanz. In 1727 the parish was suppressed, and in 1738 the church was granted to the Franciscan Conventuals. They demolished it again, and rebuilt it as the chapel of their new convent on the site. The parish was re-erected in 1824, and the church restored and re-consecrated in 1879. Text from: romanchurches.wikia.com/wiki/Santa_Dorotea

The Interior of the Church of St. Dorothy in Trast…

01 Jun 2012 713
Santa Dorotea is a Baroque parish church at Via di Santa Dorotea 23, in the northern part of Trastevere near the Ponte Sisto. The parish is administered by the Friars Minor Conventual, and the patron saint is Dorothy. This is an ancient church, although rebuilt twice, and is first attested to in a Papal bull of Pope Callistus II in 1123, being referred to under its old dedication of San Silvestro. In 1445 it was recorded under the double dedication of SS Silvestro e Dorotea, the latter being an obscure martyr of Caesarea in Cappadocia (modern Kayseri in Turkey) who may have been killed in the early 4th century if she existed at all. Her relics were enshrined here. In 1475 the church was rebuilt and given parochial status, and in 1517 St. Cajetan founded the Oratory (or Confraternity) of Divine Love in its sacristy. This is considered to have been a major event in the beginnings of the Catholic Counter-Reformation. In 1566 the church was re-listed under the present dedication. In an adjacent house, the first free public school in Europe was opened in 1592 by St. Joseph Calasanz. In 1727 the parish was suppressed, and in 1738 the church was granted to the Franciscan Conventuals. They demolished it again, and rebuilt it as the chapel of their new convent on the site. The parish was re-erected in 1824, and the church restored and re-consecrated in 1879. Text from: romanchurches.wikia.com/wiki/Santa_Dorotea

Model inside the Church of St. Dorothy in Trasteve…

01 Jun 2012 235
Santa Dorotea is a Baroque parish church at Via di Santa Dorotea 23, in the northern part of Trastevere near the Ponte Sisto. The parish is administered by the Friars Minor Conventual, and the patron saint is Dorothy. This is an ancient church, although rebuilt twice, and is first attested to in a Papal bull of Pope Callistus II in 1123, being referred to under its old dedication of San Silvestro. In 1445 it was recorded under the double dedication of SS Silvestro e Dorotea, the latter being an obscure martyr of Caesarea in Cappadocia (modern Kayseri in Turkey) who may have been killed in the early 4th century if she existed at all. Her relics were enshrined here. In 1475 the church was rebuilt and given parochial status, and in 1517 St. Cajetan founded the Oratory (or Confraternity) of Divine Love in its sacristy. This is considered to have been a major event in the beginnings of the Catholic Counter-Reformation. In 1566 the church was re-listed under the present dedication. In an adjacent house, the first free public school in Europe was opened in 1592 by St. Joseph Calasanz. In 1727 the parish was suppressed, and in 1738 the church was granted to the Franciscan Conventuals. They demolished it again, and rebuilt it as the chapel of their new convent on the site. The parish was re-erected in 1824, and the church restored and re-consecrated in 1879. Text from: romanchurches.wikia.com/wiki/Santa_Dorotea

Statue of Mary in the Church of St. Dorothy in Tra…

01 Jun 2012 199
Santa Dorotea is a Baroque parish church at Via di Santa Dorotea 23, in the northern part of Trastevere near the Ponte Sisto. The parish is administered by the Friars Minor Conventual, and the patron saint is Dorothy. This is an ancient church, although rebuilt twice, and is first attested to in a Papal bull of Pope Callistus II in 1123, being referred to under its old dedication of San Silvestro. In 1445 it was recorded under the double dedication of SS Silvestro e Dorotea, the latter being an obscure martyr of Caesarea in Cappadocia (modern Kayseri in Turkey) who may have been killed in the early 4th century if she existed at all. Her relics were enshrined here. In 1475 the church was rebuilt and given parochial status, and in 1517 St. Cajetan founded the Oratory (or Confraternity) of Divine Love in its sacristy. This is considered to have been a major event in the beginnings of the Catholic Counter-Reformation. In 1566 the church was re-listed under the present dedication. In an adjacent house, the first free public school in Europe was opened in 1592 by St. Joseph Calasanz. In 1727 the parish was suppressed, and in 1738 the church was granted to the Franciscan Conventuals. They demolished it again, and rebuilt it as the chapel of their new convent on the site. The parish was re-erected in 1824, and the church restored and re-consecrated in 1879. Text from: romanchurches.wikia.com/wiki/Santa_Dorotea

54 items in total