Jonathan Cohen

Jonathan Cohen

Posted on 07/15/2015


Photo taken on April 29, 2014



See also...


Keywords

sign
commercial sign
Eighth Avenue
8th Avenue
Chelsea
New York City
New York
United States
USA
banks
cityscape
streetscape
Greenwich Avenue


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

156 visits

Banks Then and Now – 8th Avenue and 14th Street, New York, New York

Banks Then and Now – 8th Avenue and 14th Street, New York, New York
The New York County National Bank, founded in 1855, erected this small but imposing neoclassical limestone-faced bank with Beaux-Arts motifs in 1906-07 at the corner of 8th Avenue and 14th Street. The building was designed by the architectural firm of De Lemos & Cordes with Rudolph L Daus. The building was occupied by the New York County National Bank until the late 1920s, then became a branch of Manufacturers Trust Co. in the early 1930s. Manufacturers Trust Co. became Manufacturers Hanover Trust in the mid-1960s, and they operated a branch bank here until around 1993/94 when Manufacturers Hanover merged with Chemical Bank. More recently it was the site of the now-closed Nickel, a Spa for Men. The upper floors have been converted to condo apartments for the super rich.

In the foreground id a branch of the Canadian-owned TD bank. It is located in the One Jackson Square building (whose street address is actually 122 Greenwich Avenue). One Jackson Square is a wavy, glassy, 11-story condo completed in 2010 designed by Bill Pederson of Kohn Pedersen Fox. The penthouse sold recently for almost $17 million.

Comments