Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved
Ballroom – William Pitt Union, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
In 1956, the then Schenley Park Hotel was sold to the University of Pittsburgh. The hotel underwent a $1 million ($8.44 million in 2013 dollars) renovations to convert it to university use. The top four floors first served as a men’s dormitory called Schenley House while the rest of the building was purposed as a student union, which was named Schenley Hall. Shortly after this, during the height of the cold war in September 1959, the Schenley Hall ballroom in the Union was the site of a luncheon for Nikita Khrushchev, chairman of the Soviet Union, and various Soviet and U.S. officials, including Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr. Pittsburgh was Khrushchev's last stop in his eleven-day transcontinental tour prior to a three-day conference with President Dwight D. Eisenhower. The New York Times proclaimed: "Pittsburgh Stop Warmest of Tour."