Jim Sisko

Jim Sisko

Posted on 09/03/2013


Photo taken on August 14, 2013




Keywords

light
michilimackinac maritime park
michilimackinac state park
old mackinac point light
straits of mackinac
GLAP
Geo-Tagged
mackinaw city
lake huron
mackinac bridge
michigan
lighthouse
beacon
LLMS_MI_MackinawCity


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

79 visits

Old Mackinac Point Light

Old Mackinac Point Light
For 65 years, four generations of lighthouse keepers and their families lived at the Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse in Mackinaw City, Michigan and helped to ensure the safety of vessels traveling on the Straits of Mackinac between Lake Michigan and Lake Huron. Established in 1889, the stations fog signal went into operation in 1890 and the lighthouse was completed in 1892. The lights on the newly completed Mackinac Bridge made the lighthouse unnecessary, and it was decommissioned in 1957. The Mackinac Island State Park Commission purchased the property in 1960 and incorporated it into surrounding Michilimackinac State Park. It served as the gallery building for Michilimackinac Maritime Park from 1972 to 1990. A fundraising effort was launched in 1996 to raise $2.2 million to restore the lighthouse property to its circa 1910 appearance and the lighthouse reopened to the public in 2004.

A cool way to view mine or anyone else's photostream is on fluidr.

Comments