Jacques

Jacques

Posted on 08/18/2013


Photo taken on July 12, 2013



See also...

Reflections Of All Kinds Reflections Of All Kinds


20 Favorite or stars 20 Favorite or stars


Reflets & Reflectionst Reflets & Reflectionst


Best of ipernity Best of ipernity


Splendid Views Splendid Views


Unforgettable places Unforgettable places


See more...

Keywords

Russia
Uglich District
Volga River
201307 Cruise
Russian Style
Iconostasis
Orthodox Churches
Kremlin
Bulbs
Church of St Dimitri on the Blood
Transfiguration Cathedral
Church of the Theotokos of Kazan


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

327 visits

P7120529ac Uglich Arrival Early Morning

P7120529ac Uglich Arrival Early Morning
Left with blue domes is the Church of St Dimitri on the Blood (1692), on its right the green domes of the Transfiguration Cathedral (1713) and its golden bulb belfry (37m), behind on right the Church of the Theotokos of Kazan (1777); Wikipedia: Uglich is a historic town in Yaroslavl Oblast, Russia, which stands on the Volga River; Its population was of 34,507 on 2010 Census); History : A local tradition dates the town's origins to 937; It was first documented in 1148 as Ugliche Pole (Corner Field); The town's name is thought to allude to the nearby turn in the Volga River; Uglich had been the seat of a small princedom from 1218 until 1328 when the local princes sold their rights to the great prince of Moscow; As a border town of the Grand Duchy of Moscow, it was burned several times by Lithuanians, Tatars, and the grand prince of Tver; Grand Duke Ivan III of Moscow gave the town to his younger brother Andrey Bolshoy in 1462; During Andrey's reign, the town was expanded and first stone buildings were constructed; Particularly notable were the cathedral (rebuilt in 1713), the Intercession Monastery (destroyed by the Bolsheviks) and the red-brick palace of the prince (completed in 1481 and still standing).
Reign of Ivan the Terrible :
During the reign of Ivan the Terrible, the town passed to his only brother, Yury; Local inhabitants helped the Tsar capture Kazan by building a wooden fortress which was transported by the Volga all the way to Kazan; Throughout the 16th century, Uglich prospered both politically and economically, but thereafter its fortunes began to decline;
Death of Tsarevich Dimitry: After Ivan's death, his youngest son Dimitry Ivanovich was banished to Uglich in 1584; The most famous event in the town's history took place on May 15, 1591 when the 10-year old boy was found dead with his throat cut in the palace courtyard; Suspicion immediately fell on the tsar's chief advisor, Boris Godunov; Official investigators concluded however that Dimitry's death was an accident; They cut a "tongue" from the cathedral bell that rung the news of Dimitry's death and "exiled" it to Siberia;
The Monastery of St. Alexis (1620s) :
As Dimitry was the last scion of the ancient Rurik Dynasty, his death precipitated the dynastic and political crisis known as the Time of Troubles; People readily believed that Dimitry was alive and supported several False Dimitrys (see False Dimitry I, False Dimitry II, False Dimitry III) who tried to grab the Muscovite throne; During the Time of Troubles, the Poles besieged the Alexeievsky and Uleima monasteries and burned them down killing all the populace who had sought refuge inside; The Romanov Tsars made it their priority to canonize the martyred Tsesarevich and to turn Uglich into a place of pilgrimage; On the spot where Dimitry had been murdered the city in 1690 built the small Church of St. Demetrios on the Blood, which appears on the horizon with its red walls and blue domes as one sails North on the Volga; The palace where the prince lived was turned into a museum; The image of Tsesarevich with a knife in his hand was adopted as the town's coat of arms;
Later history : In the first third of the 18th century the kremlin cathedral and its remarkable bell-tower were demolished and rebuilt; Other 18th-century landmarks include the Smolenskaya, Korsunskaya, Kazanskaya and Bogoyavlenskaya churches; The most important edifice of the 19th century is the ponderous cathedral of the Theophany Convent, consecrated in 1853; Church of the Theotokos of Kazan (1777) :The modern town did have a famous watch manufacturing plant now closed (see Chaika watches), a railway station, and a hydroelectric power station; In November 2008 was opened a new Nexans cable mill; Actually, Stalin's decision to create the Uglich Reservoir led to severe flooding of the town's outskirts.
Administrative and municipal status :
Within the framework of administrative divisions, Uglich serves as the administrative center of Uglichsky District, even though it is not a part of it; As an administrative division, it is incorporated separately as the town of oblast significance of Uglich—an administrative unit with the status equal to that of the districts; As a municipal division, the town of oblast significance of Uglich is incorporated within Uglichsky Municipal District as Uglich Urban Settlement.
Architecture :
The Transfiguration Cathedral in the Uglich kremlin;
Apart from the kremlin, the city center features other nice samples of old Russian architecture; Particularly notable are the Alexeievsky and Resurrection monasteries;
The Assumption three-tented church (1628) of the Alexeyevsky Monastery is considered a true gem of Russian medieval architecture; "Marvelous" is an epithet that common people gave to their church and which became a part of its official name; Located nearby is the more conventional Church of St. John the Baptist (1681); Closer to the bank of the Volga one may see the Resurrection Monastery with its huge cathedral, refectory, belfry and summer church; All these buildings stand in a row and date back to 1674-77; Opposite the monastery is the graceful Church of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist; It was built in 1689-90 by a local merchant to commemorate the spot where his son had drowned; More old architecture may be seen in the vicinity of Uglich, including the 17th-century Uleima Monastery and a fine church in Divnogorye; Russia Uglich district on Volga River.

Claudine Gaulier-Denis has particularly liked this photo


Comments
Sigmund
Sigmund
A stunning place and a great capture :-))
4 years ago.
Jacques has replied to Sigmund
A magnificent moment when the ship arrives slowly in such a place in the first lights of the day! Thank You Sigmund!
4 years ago.
Claudine Gaulier-Denis
Claudine Gaulier-Den…
merveilleuse image!
4 years ago.