Isisbridge

Isisbridge

Posted on 06/13/2017


Photo taken on May 26, 2017


See also...


Keywords

Lancaster Castle
castle
prison
gateway
Lancaster
Lancashire
historic
building
England
English
Britain
British
UK
May
2017


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

23 visits

Lancaster Castle prison

Lancaster Castle prison

Comments
Isisbridge
Isisbridge
lancastercastle.fmdev02.fatoffice.co.uk/crime-punishment

Lancaster Castle is still used today as a Crown Court. It deals with trials of the more serious criminal offences, the sentencing of offenders committed for sentence by magistrates' courts, and appeals from lower courts.

Once the only Assize for the county, Lancaster saw a vast number of people pass through its doors, accused of various crimes, many of which were, until the end of the 1820s, punishable by death.

An interesting relic of this age is the branding iron in the dock, which consists of a metal holdfast designed to immobilise the wrist and fingers, whilst a red hot branding iron embossed with the letter M was applied to the brawn of the thumb. This identified the convicted person as a 'malefactor' or 'evil-doer.'

The Branding Iron was last used in 1811. It was the practice of the gaoler to raise the convicted person's hand to show the Judge that, as it was said, a fair mark had been made. It became the rule that before a prisoner was tried he was required to raise his hand so that it could be seen whether he bore the brand mark and was therefore a previous offender.

Lancaster Castle housed two treadwheels - one to drive 23 calico looms and one to draw water from the well. The first one was installed in 1822. Lancaster's use of the treadwheels was unique as most prisons did not harness the energy in any useful way.

During the summer, male and female prisoners sentenced to hard labour on the treadwheel had to work 10 hours per day, at a rate of 96 steps per minute. They were allowed to rest for five minutes in every twenty. Four prisoners were allocated to every three spaces on the wheel, thereby allowing one to rest for five minutes while the rest of the team continued to turn the wheel.

When prisoners finished their 15-minute stint, they would climb down to sit on a stool, whilst the prisoner who had been resting took his place. The turnkey (prison officer) in charge of the wheelhouse was in full control and shouted out his orders each time the wheelhouse clock chimed the five-minute interval. A rule of total silence was strictly enforced and the spaces on the wheel were partitioned to frustrate communication between the prisoners.
5 months ago. Edited 5 months ago.