While Kroměříž can show off many squares, large and small ones, its real "heart" must be the Large Square, which was founded by Bruno of Schauenburg, Bishop of Olomouc in the 2nd half of the 13th century as a new market place, approximately 1 hectare in size. The dominanting feature of the square is the Baroque Marian column, built after the plague epidemics of 1680 and the fountain installed in 1655 as a part of the water system of the town. The most important building on the square is the Town Hall, built between 1550 and 1611. It owes its present - day appearance to Cardinal František of Dietrichstein. Residential and church houses with arcades have retained their Renaissance and early - Baroque facades up to the present day.