Ressel Square Chrudim, Pardubice Region, Czech Republic
When the word Chrudim first appeared in written records, the site had already been inhabited for several thousands years. Archaeological excavations have proved that, people had already built a fortified settlement on raised ground, now called Pumberky, (north-east of the present-day town centre) some 6 to 7 thousand years ago. The territory was very densely populated at the time of the Lusatian Culture (1200 – 900 BC). The first people to settle in the area whose name has been preserved, were Celts (from the 5th century BC up to the beginning of the present era). It seems that at the time, Chrudim obviously belonged to a large oppidum occupying the territory of present day Hradiště near České Lhotice, some 10 kilometres south of Chrudim.