Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary Chrudim, July 1, 2011
This church has a very early beginning. Its presbytery, which originally served as the chapel of the neighboring castle, had probably existed before the town of Chrudim was founded.
In the course of centuries of its existence, the external appearance of the church has undergone considerable change. Although the church had always had two towers, each of the towers initially were of a different height and shape. Viewed from the front, the left tower is named "Cerna," the left, "Trubacka," for the trumpeter who had his apartment in it. The latter tower was maintained in persistently bad condition. In April, 1630, the floor fell through and the trumpeter's wife died in the ruins. In May, 1702 the tower was struck by lightning, which ignited both towers and the roof, which burned up to the presbytery. After repairs, both towers were of the same height, and onion-domed.
A terraced parapet bearing statues of saints was erected in front of the church in 1927. In 1740, the top of the south tower was destroyed in a gale; new repairs added an image of the Savior with a radiant halo on a shield between the towers.