Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved
Colchester - St James the Great
The building was originally Norman, but has been added to and extended over the centuries. The south aisle was added c.1300, the north aisle added in the mid 14th century. Both aisles were extended in the 15th century. The tower was added in the 13th century then altered during the 14th century. The chancel and chancel chapels were added in around 1500 but are obscured from view on the south by a horrible vestry built in 1953 of roughcast concrete - and intended to be temporary.