Essex Walks

Essex Walks

Posted on 07/01/2014


Photo taken on June 30, 2014



See also...


Keywords

architecture
ecclesiastical
Essex
Church
England
Writtle
Clerestory
All Saints
Bell Tower
C13


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

305 visits

Writtle - All Saints

Writtle - All Saints
The 13th century church in Writtle is relatively large for a village, with embattled nave and aisles, with a brick built chantry chapel added in in the mid-16th century. However Writtle was the major settlement in the area since Norman times and only in recent times has been dwarfed by Chelmsford. The squat tower is a rebuild from 1802.
Internally there is a fragment of a 14th century wall painting of St George and the Dragon - partially obscured by a fire exit sign.
Fire Exit Sign

Comments