Essex Walks

Essex Walks

Posted on 05/29/2014


Photo taken on May 29, 2014



See also...


Keywords

Church
Hatfield Peverel
Tudor
Norman
Brick
Benedictine
Spire
C12
C13
C15
Monastic


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

379 visits

Hatfield Peverel - St Andrew

Hatfield Peverel - St Andrew
St Andrew's church is all that remains of a medieval Benedictine priory. The present church is the nave of a Norman cruciform priory church, with a north aisle added in the 13th century and extended in the 15th century (the Tudor brick battlements were a later addition) and a south aisle added in 1873. The east wall of the chancel is the west arch of the former central tower. The west wall of the current church is the original west wall of the priory church and contains a 12th century Norman doorway.

The priory was dissolved in 1536 and the presbytery with its chapels, the transept and the central tower were pulled down. The nave was allowed to remain as it doubled as the parish church.

Comments