Zach

Zach

Posted on 02/12/2014


Photo taken on February  8, 2014



Keywords

architecture
Mission Revival
San Bernardino
Santa Fe
CA
USA
California
desert
restoration
depot
rail
W.A. Mohr


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

90 visits

Santa Fe Depot (San Bernardino)

Santa Fe Depot (San Bernardino)
A Mission Revival Style passenger rail terminal opened July 15th 1918 and replaced a two-and-a-half story wooden structure (built in 1886) which burned down in 1916. Designed by W.A. Mohr it cost $800,000 and was the largest railway station west of the Mississippi. A few years later a building extension included living quarters and a Harvey House (one of a famous chain of restaurants and hotels built along rail lines in the western United States in the late 19th and early 20th centuries).

Like many other rail stations it saw a decline in usage in the 1950’s, ‘60’s and ‘70’s. In 1992 it was purchased from Santa Fe by San Bernardino Associated Governments and restoration began (with over $15 million in federal and local grants).

1170 W. 3rd St., San Bernardino, California

Linuxica Jenesis, Don Barrett (aka DBs travels) have particularly liked this photo


Comments