Zach

Zach

Posted on 02/12/2014


Photo taken on February  8, 2014



Keywords

architecture
Mission Revival
San Bernardino
Santa Fe
CA
USA
California
desert
restoration
depot
rail
W.A. Mohr


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

132 visits

Santa Fe Depot (San Bernardino)

Santa Fe Depot (San Bernardino)
Near the Santa Fe Depot rail museum entryway (with the Santa Fe logo featured under the eaves).

A Mission Revival Style passenger rail terminal opened July 15th 1918 and replaced a two-and-a-half story wooden structure (built in 1886) which burned down in 1916. Designed by W.A. Mohr it cost $800,000 and was the largest railway station west of the Mississippi. A few years later a building extension included living quarters and a Harvey House (one of a famous chain of restaurants and hotels built along rail lines in the western United States in the late 19th and early 20th centuries).

Like many other rail stations it saw a decline in usage in the 1950’s, ‘60’s and ‘70’s. In 1992 it was purchased from Santa Fe by San Bernardino Associated Governments and restoration began (with over $15 million in federal and local grants).

1170 W. 3rd St., San Bernardino, California

Don Barrett (aka DBs travels) has particularly liked this photo


Comments