Zach

Zach

Posted on 08/24/2013


Photo taken on August 13, 2013



Keywords

monument
civil liberties
internment
detention center
Poston
Bureau of Indian Affairs
War Relocation Center
Colorado River Indian Reservati
War Relocation Authority
WRA
Secretary of War
Wartime Civilian Control Admini
WCCA
9102
9066
memorial
racism
hysteria
human rights
concentration camp
USA
World War II
Arizona
Japanese
WWII
Executive Order
Franklin Roosevelt
US citizens


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

105 visits

Poston War Relocation Center

Poston War Relocation Center
from the plaque in the photo:

This memorial monument marks the site of the Poston War Relocation Center where 17,867 persons of Japanese ancestry, the majority of whom were United States citizens, were interned during World War II. From May 1942 to November 1945, all persons of Japanese descent living on west coast farms, businesses, towns, cities and states were forcibly evacuated by the United States military on the ground that they posed a threat to the national security. This massive relocation was authorized by Executive Order 9066 signed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on February 19, 1942.

This memorial is dedicated to all those men, women and children who suffered countless hardships and indignities at the hands of a nation misguided by wartime hysteria, racial prejudice and fear. May it serve as a constant reminder of our past so that Americans in the future will never again be denied their constitutional rights. And may the remembrance of that experience serve to advance the evolution of the human spirit.

This memorial monument is erected in cooperation with the Colorado River Indian Tribes, former internees of Poston, veterans and friends of the fiftieth year observance of the evacuation and internment.

October 6, 1992


The Poston War Relocation Center was the largest of the ten American internment camps operated by the War Relocation Authority during World War II. It was built on the Colorado Indian Reservation and consisted of three camps. The combined population of the camps reached over 17,000. The Tribal Council objected to being a part of doing to others what had previously been done to their tribe. However, the Bureau of Indian Affairs overrode the Council, viewing the prisoners as “volunteers” who would develop the area as permanent agricultural land (all on the War Department’s budget, of course). Today the area is still agricultural land.

Comments