dogmarten28

dogmarten28

Posted on 08/21/2013


Photo taken on July  5, 2013



See also...

The English Parish Church The English Parish Church


East Anglia East Anglia


Architecture of Days Gone By Architecture of Days Gone By


Give PEACE a Chance! Give PEACE a Chance!


Suffolk. Suffolk.


Flickr Refugees Flickr Refugees


suffolk churches suffolk churches


New Flickr Survivors New Flickr Survivors


Panasonic LUMIX Panasonic LUMIX


Churches Churches


See more...

Keywords

village
woodcarvings
octagonal font
Mid-Suffolk
misericords
dogmarten28
Decorated
Perpendicular
St. Andrew
Suffolk
Norton
dentists
East Anglia
1700
rectory
church
St Apollonia


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

466 visits

St. Andrew, Norton & Old Rectory

St. Andrew, Norton & Old Rectory
St. Andrew's is another Suffolk church situated in an attractive rural spot well away from the village centre, here with just the rectory of c.1700 to keep it company. It consists of a west tower, aisled nave, south porch and chancel, of which the tower, nave, and chancel probably date from the 14th century (at the transition from Decorated to Perpendicular), and the aisle windows and porch, perhaps the 15th, although the chancel south wall needed reconstructing in 1832, albeit re-using the original materials.

The church contains a number of important furnishings. These include the 15th century octagonal font with mythical beasts and the symbols of the Evangelists carved on a bowl supported by angels and winged hearts, and with a stem covered in blank tracery and standing figures bearing shields at the angles. The woodwork includes seven original nave benches to the south and eight to the north, with carved figure and animal arm rests like those at neighbouring Stowlangtoft St. George.
More especially are the outstanding misericords in the chancel. There are eight of these altogether, forming two freestanding blocks of three and one of two. The subjects include the martyrdom of St. Edmund, the crucifixion of St. Andrew, a monk writing, and a woman warming her feet, and are carved with such life and vigour as to be rarely surpassed in work of this age or any.

There is also, in one of the south chancel windows, a depiction of St Apollonia, the patron saint of dentists, with an enormous tooth in a pair of pincers!

Lorenzo Kjell Salmonson, Peter Van Der Houwen, Juan, Hans Blumer and 5 other people have particularly liked this photo


10 comments - The latest ones
ecolour
ecolour
Great image !!
4 years ago.
Peter Van Der Houwen
Peter Van Der Houwen
Simply beautiful!
4 years ago.
Janet Ulliott
Janet Ulliott
Excellent Piece of Photography.Together with a nice Presentation..
4 years ago.
Rambonp
Rambonp
Splendid !!! GREAT capture friend ! Have an enjoyable time !!!
4 years ago.
Thomas Smith
Thomas Smith
Beautiful scene.
4 years ago.
Don Sutherland
Don Sutherland
Wonderful capture.
4 years ago.
Juan
Juan
Excellent capture !!
4 years ago.
Juan
Juan
Fantastic image !!
4 years ago.
Rambonp
Rambonp
GREAT ! Excellent Composition friend ! Have an enjoyable time !
4 years ago.
Polyrus
Polyrus
Beautiful colours as usual Bruce and fascinating info, particularly about St Apollonia
4 years ago.