1/400 • f/6.3 • 17.0 mm • ISO 100 •
Canon EOS 70D
17-50mmEXIF - See more details
Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved
The Phillips Memorial Park, Godalming
The Phillips Memorial Park is named after John George (Jack) Phillips, who, as well as being a resident of Farncombe, was Chief Wireless Telegraphist on the RMS Titanic. Jack remained at his post sending out distress messages in Morse code, as the ship sank, after striking an iceberg, on 15 April 1912. He was one of the first people to use the new international emergency call sign SOS during an actual disaster, which he interspersed with the old Marconi-preferred version CQD. The Memorial Cloister, at the western end of the Park, was built in 1913, through public subscription, to commemorate his selfless act.