See also...


Keywords

scan
engraving
insurance inventory
London
Greater London
Chelsea
school


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

257 visits

Former Royal Military Asylum, Kings Road, Chelsea, London (Now Duke of York's TA Building)

Former Royal Military Asylum, Kings Road, Chelsea, London (Now Duke of York's TA Building)
The Royal Military Asylum for Children of Soldiers of the Regular Army was established at Chelsea in 1801 on the initiative of the Duke of York It was designed as a home for the orphaned children of soldiers who had fallen in the war with France which began in 1793 and ended with the Battle of Waterloo in 1815. The building shown in this engraving was designed by John Sanders and built between 1801 and 1803, the central range survives as the TA HQ. In 1892 it was renamed the Duke of York's Royal Military School, and in 1909 the school moved to Dover

Comments
Stiffleaf
Stiffleaf
now the saatchi gallery
4 years ago.
A Buildings Fan
A Buildings Fan
Thanks for the additional information, best wishes James
4 years ago.