Church of Intercession on Nerl
The Church of the Intercession of the Holy Virgin on the Nerl River is an Orthodox church and a symbol of mediaeval Russia. The church is situated at the confluence of Nerl and Klyazma Rivers in Bogolyubovo, 13 km north-east of the ancient capital of Vladimir. The church was commissioned by Andrei Bogolyubsky. According to some sources in the literature, it was built in 1165 to commemorate Andrei's slain son.