Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved
Honmaru Goten of Kumamoto Castle 熊本城
The building adjacent to the towers was recently reconstructed (2008), and housed the feudal government of Kumamoto from 1610 to 1868. Only 1/3 was reconstructed, and only the parts that were known to be historically correct. These waiting rooms outside the daimyo's chamber (the green painting at the end) used to have screen and wall paintings also, but knowledge of what was there was lost so the walls were left bare. The daimyo's chambers were well documented and therefore restored. Some paintings were known, but their placement not, so they are on display in another section. Kato Kiyomasa built the palace in 1610 shortly after the main keep was finished in 1607. The Goten was burned down during the Satsuma Rebellion in 1877.