Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved
Sankin Kotai Road through Nijuu-toge (二重峠) 熊本
The stone road was built in 1605 by Kato Kiyomasa, the architect of Kumamoto castle. It went up over the Niju Pass before dropping into the Aso caldera on its way to Oita. Sankin Kotai was where the feudal vassals of the Tokugawa were to spend half their time in Edo (Tokyo) and half their time on their domains. The constant travel and upkeep of two households kept any of them from gathering too much wealth which might support an uprising.