Alan Mays

Alan Mays

Posted on 04/01/2016


Photo taken on April  1, 2016


See also...

Vintage Printed Ephemera Vintage Printed Ephemera


Typography Typography


See more...

Keywords

Spring Forest
Tully
Victorian
NY
New York
ephemera
business cards
printed
advertisements
names
typefaces
greenhouses
Spring Forest Green Houses
James B. Tully
flowering bulbs
ornamental trees
bedding plants
nineteenth century
trade cards
Binghamton
florists
shrubbery
fonts
old
trees
vintage
antique
spring
paper
red
green
yellow
plants
advertising
type
19th century
bulbs
baskets
illustrations
cards
shrubs
ads
fall
typography
OKAY


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

698 visits

James B. Tully, Florist, Binghamton, New York

James B. Tully, Florist, Binghamton, New York
"James B. Tully, florist, Spring Forest Green Houses, Binghamton, N.Y. Green house and bedding plants. Fall and spring flowering bulbs. Ornamental trees and shrubbery."

James B. Tully (1840-1908) "was a florist and sexton of Spring Forest Cemetery in Binghamton, N.Y.," according to his Find A Grave entry.

The following advertisement appeared in Horticulture, May 4, 1907, p. 609, the year before Tully's death: "For Sale. Desirable greenhouse plant, directly opposite Spring Forest Cemetery, Binghamton, N.Y. Large and increasing demand for funeral designs and bedding stuff; care of cemetery plots big item in receipts. A dwelling house, 10,000 feet of glass, land comprising twenty city lots. Paying business and open chance for increase. Sold on account of advance in years. Apply to James B. Tully, 47 Spring Forest Ave., Binghamton, N.Y."

An American Florist Company's Directory for 1908 listed a different address for Tully's business, although I'm not certain whether it's actually a different location: "Spring Forest Greenhouses (James B. Tully), 48 Mygatt St., Binghamton."

It's not clear when or if Tully sold his business, but the following note appeared five years later (and four years after Tully's death) in Horticulture, March 23, 1912, p. 412: "Binghamton, N.Y.--The Spring Forest Greenhouses, Spring Forest avenue, are now owned by the Binghamton Seed Co. The seed store has been moved to 135 Court street from 161 Water street."

Smiley Derleth, Angelica Paez, John FitzGerald have particularly liked this photo


Comments
John FitzGerald
John FitzGerald
Great research, as usual -- finding out who issued the card or posed for the photograph is always interesting. This looks like a beautifully printed card, too.
2 years ago.
wintorbos
wintorbos
Terrific card and great research.
2 years ago.
╰☆☆June☆☆╮
╰☆☆June☆☆╮
Your beautiful capture is greatly admired

Historical & Architectural Gems
2 years ago.