Alan Mays

Alan Mays

Posted on 02/25/2014


Photo taken on February 25, 2014


See also...

Vintage Printed Ephemera Vintage Printed Ephemera


Americana Americana


Typography Typography


See more...

Keywords

plug tobacco
Meade
Dauphin County
nineteenth century
Middletown
Spanish-American War
slogans
typefaces
camps
Victorian
Pa.
Pennsylvania
stationery
fill in the blanks
Horse Shoe
letterheads
chewing tobacco
45-stars
45-star flags
military camps
George Meade
George G. Meade
Camp George G. Meade
Geo. G. Meade
Camp Geo. G. Meade
Camp Meade
billheads
encampments
plugs
ephemera
1890s
typography
type
stripes
advertising
old
vintage
antique
white
stars
paper
blue
wars
flags
soldiers
tobacco
receipts
armies
printed
1898
advertisements
fonts
19th century
illustrations
patriotic
military
brands
ads
red


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

952 visits

Camp Geoge G. Meade Letterhead, Middletown, Pa., 1898

Camp Geoge G. Meade Letterhead, Middletown, Pa., 1898
"Camp Geo. G. Meade, Middletown, Pa. ________ 1898. Horse Shoe Plug Tobacco is the best."

Top portion of a letterhead or billhead sheet--with a flag illustration and an advertisement for Horse Shoe plug tobacco--that was evidently printed for use at Camp Meade in Middletown, Pa., during the military camp's existence between August 24 and November 17, 1898. The 45-star version of the United States flag as seen here was in use from 1896 to 1908 (see the Historical Progression of Designs section in Wikipedia's Flag of the United States entry).

As Wikipedia explains, "Camp George G. Meade near Middletown, Pennsylvania was a camp established and subsequently abandoned by the U.S. Volunteers during the Spanish American War. . . . Camp Meade was established August 24, 1898, and soon thereafter was occupied by the Second Army Corps of about 22,000 men, under command of Maj. Gen. William M. Graham, which had been moved from Camp Alger in an attempt to outrun the typhoid fever epidemic. Camp Meade was visited by President William McKinley on August 27, 1898. . . . Camp Meade was abandoned about November 17, 1898."

Smiley Derleth has particularly liked this photo


Comments
Nylonbleu
Nylonbleu
I love the flag design
3 years ago.